Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

Steph

Not enough BKs in my neighborhood. I have to go way out of my way to get to one. Can't wait to try it!

Mike

This commercial was definitely dumb but I didn't find it racist or offensive at all, just dumb.

Rande Rochelle

I didnt see anything wRong with the commerciaL...eveRybody likes fRied chicken foR the most paRt....and i know we as BLACK PeoPLe LOve fried chicken and other food...so its okay for us LOVE FRIED CHICKEN..,but whaT??..,we cant taLk about IT???....This is cRazy peoPle.....

catay411

What's stereotypical about this ad? It's just a woman singing about "crispy chicken and cheese wraps". There is nothing stereotypical about this ad. I can only guess that maybe its the old "black people really luv fried chicken" thing. Well, I'm white and I really luv fried chicken. Anyone being offended by this ad would tell me that either they are way over sensitive or not satisfied with their ancestry.

Debi

Worried about stereotyping??? That should be the least of the worries about this.....the commercial is JUST AWFUL all on it's own.

SunnyGirl0806

Maybe it's me, but I'm Black, and I don't see the big deal. It was a pretty stupid commercial, hilarious even, and most Black people DO like chicken even though at times we can be stereotyped about it. It's clear that there was no way this was a finished ad set to air. What company would have paid for this epic fail? I guess BK.

Gone

I don't see anything wrong with the clip. This stereotype thing is completely ridicilous and so wrong on so many levels. Black chickens, white chickens, yellow chickens, brown chickens, black and white chickens, grey chickens, etc. None of them have even had a problem with color. Chicken don't give a damn, humans do.

OBAMA CLAUS

This is ridiculous, with the liberqal freaks not even Fried CHicken is sacred. Look , i'm so white i glow in the dark , but i LOVE FRIED CHICKEN and guess what else , Watermelon, i just love watermelon on a hot july day.

The left is using everything in their playbook to incite some race riots ; it is so obvious it's kind of sad. I mean, what in the H. are they so worried about ? 2012 election is in the bag the fix is in ,, I mean who will vote for Romney ? It's over and done already . Republicans stay home election day.

Coach T

Most BK ads are terrible, such as the stupid guy in the King Suit running around. This one is actually decent and guess what Black people like chicken, so do White people, Asian people, etc...Come on Mary and BK stop trippin

HeeHee

LAME!

Jaye

Didn't know BLACKS had the MONOPOLY on chicken. Fist they whine they aren't oin tv, then when they ARE on tv, they still complain. Whine, whine, whine black people.

Carls jr run ads in which a WHTE male is CLUELESS how to buy food at the supermarket......Carls Jr runs ads featuring a mastuebatory white blonde at the drive-in, orgasming over chicken. Do WHITE folks complain? NO. That's cos us white folks GET IT. It is merely an ad campaign. EASE UP BLACK FOLKS !!!!!!!!!

Joe

Whenever there is discrimination against blacks, it sickens me to hear a white person say, "GET OVER IT!" This was the same thing said to blacks during the days of segregation, Jim Crowe, lynching, cross-burning, etc. "HELL NO! WE WON'T GET OVER IT!" Martin Luther King so eloquently stated it, "Injustice anywhere is injustice anywhere." I'm not saying that this commercial was extremely and overtly racist. What I am doing is replying to some dumb and stupid remarks that have been made here on this story. Before President Obama was duly elected as U S President, many whites were yelliing "FOUL!" To this very day it continues with baseless charges that he is not a U S citizen and a lot of other foolish crap. To this I reply, using your own words, "GET OVER IT!"

AnonasaurusRex

Mary is tripping. I'm black, I like the commercial and I like chicken. So? And what!???

mf

Play the race card, We all need to grow up and get over it. Its just chicken. Who cares.

mark zambon

how is this Racist? the subway pizziola commercial is ****ing racist....