Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

en Todo Momento!!

the white dude jammin on the dancefloor was AWESOME!! i hope they leave him in the commercial!! :D

CastleGreySkull

Apologized for what????? How'd the check look??? Thank you..

Karen

Jes*s Cripes! When are we going to get over the political correctness, sensitiviy about race, etc. Oh, all Jews and Muslims own all retail, that's why all stores are open on the "Chistian" holidays. IT'S CALLED MONEY! Mary don't even comment. F it. Everyone in this damned society wants to cry racism, no it's called for real, at least in the Washington DC metropolitan area, that blacks know how to make the best fried chicken, mac n cheese & OH! Greens that whites don't get. Oh did I forget Cornbread, oh the WHITE REDNECKS LIKE ME DON'T KNOW NOTHIN! Everyone get a life and just be happy with each other and appreciate EVERYONE!!!

Throwback kid

Are there any black people who would not sing about chicken for a 2 million dollar paycheck like she got?
There are black actors who have played slaves in films and no one had a problem with it?

CTrizzle

REAL TALK! I love this commercial... Str8 up Superbowl worthy... Makes u wanna go out and get a Chicken Wrap. LOL

-SAY IT WIT ME NOW!-

{Singing} "Crispy Chicken, wrapped up in a...."

Adrienne Robinson

I like anything Mary does. She is inspirational and good hearted. i support Mary in all her endeavors, so burger King look out!

ddog

That commercial made me hungry for those chicken wraps with all the sauces.

Paul F

Difficult to believe Mary, as she was there filming the scene,... and unbelievable the fake uproar regarding all things race. If this goes on much longer, Obama will lose most voters in the middle out of sheer disgust. The pandering lying racebaiters need to be ignored.

CJ

Did she not notice she was singing about chicken? Damage control!

Mona

Who is Mary J Bilge? Looks like Whitney Houston's coked up grandma.

Hoey

It is overly dramatic white prople that have most of the blame I am white but I don't see where it is bad to like fried chicken I like it and when I go into Churchs Chicken I see just as many whites. It is only in your mind that you see these things My Mother cussed me out when my bi niece had a bi racial baby Mckenzie, and I said she looked like a baby monkey in a diaper she called me a smart ass I needed to shut my mouth ans she stormed out of the hospital room. The Dad thought it was funny who is black he knew I was not being racist and it's funny how no one said anything when my white son was born earlier and I called him a baby monkey in a diaper before this incident. It just goes to show the tension and problems this causes white people usually more than blacks my mom was uneasy about having a black great grand baby and it got spewed at me because she was overly sensitive about it even though she loves the baby. Whatever.I think she would be in a better place if she took a few tokes off the old bong pipe the one hidden behind the old metal gas can out in the shed.

paul a.

Wow.... How do you get "that" out of this ad?

Sounds like some really overly-sensitive people out there!

Philly

Cheri

Hay Mary your still # 1. and people that are now saying crap about blacks and chicken, that bull S*** I'm white and my two favorite food are chicken and watermelon, stop making it a black thing, it's really a people thing with good taste..

Jim Arkback

Stupid ******s always scream racism it's i see why blacks hate their own race bunch of stupid ******s