Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

This commerical is so ghetto...It's so Mary!

pats

So ..Are you giving the 2 mill back because you made a poor pr decision?
can't have it both ways Sister

SAM

An ugly black woman and fried chicken don't mix, get a pretty one!...

DetroitRocks

Every McDonalds commercial is racist

PAMELTOE

I didn't see anything stereotypical about that commercial... Just because she is black and it's a commercial about chicken? That's really hypersensitive.. She wasn't making fun of black people, or doing anything degrading. Besides, every black person I know jokes about loving chicken... it's not like it's a derogatory thing to say black people like chicken... good lord... what's next?? I am the first person to become angered when people are being treated unfairly, but things are taken way overboard sometimes. we should absolutely be sensitive to others, but we can also take a joke... i honestly don't even feel like this was a joke, this was a singer making a commercial about chicken... get over it.

Freestlz

It would only have been offensive if the whole cast was black and they said "you know us blacks..we like our fried chicken"...Jesus...it's like saying Cubans love to eat guava pastry...fudge yeah we do....don't see anything offensive about the commercial...poor mary......some people have nothing better to do than to complain...

jeff

Burger King is not the American company it used to be. It was sold to a European company. If anything, they may be out of touch with the sensitivities of various American cultures. Nonetheless, why would you as a singer agree to sing about anything chicken-related if it's that much of an issue? I think we have more important things to worry about than a stupid chicken ad for a last place fast food outfit.

Chad

I'm more offended that bk hired her in the first place

swan746

Sterotype ads Could always be worse CHECK IT OUT:

Holly

It obviously looks unfinished, but the ad itself doesn't seem racist or anything. I don't get all the criticism.

buzz kill

The people at Burger King have no ba*ls. There was nothing stereotypical or offensive about it. BK hired her to do a commercial, she accepted and she got paid, contract complete. BK should not have apologized, they should have reminded her that she worked for them. A smart company will not hire her in the future, unless they want to be called racist after they pay her. Mary J Bilge should lern you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

LoudMouth

What the heck is offensive about the ad? And HOW can she claim she was set up and didn't know what was going on when she is SINGING ABOUT CHICKEN? Or did I miss something and they over-dubbed the words and her voice into the commercial? Own up to it woman, or are you too CHICKEN?

Larry The Don

I think its funny

Bird

How is liking chicken a negative stereotype? Chicken is delicious! I don't know why black people have their panties in a bunch over this. I wouldn't have seen this add and thought to myself "Haha! It's a black woman singing about chicken". But then again, I don't look for racism in every little thing. Lighten up, people! It's not that deep.

GLaDOS

She's obviously a moron. I mean, she sung a song about fried chicken. What the hell did she think the commercial was going to be about? What a dumb ass for acting like it's BK's fault.