Matt Lauer

Re-Signs with 'Today'

Ann Curry on Chopping Block

4/5/2012 4:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Matt Lauer has signed a new long-term deal with the Today showMatt Lauer has signed a new, long-term deal with the "Today" show.  He will become way richer than he already is, and we're told the next move will be to send Ann Curry packing.

As TMZ first reported, Lauer got close to his $30 million a year asking price, nearly doubling his $17 million a year current salary.

It's bad news for Ann Curry, because our sources say Lauer does not want her as his co-host, and it appears her fate is now sealed.

NBC sources say Ann's likely replacement will be Savannah Guthrie.

Krissy

Savannah is fabulous! Good for Matt he is a great guy, stop being mean!!!! Sorry Ann, but you and Matt don't mix!

PLEASE PUT IN SAVANNAH !!!!

Kabala

I love Ann Currie - their loss will be someone else's gain...

Stacey

I love Anne but Savannah is sooooo much better as a co-host and I have been watching for years. Let Anne do the really emotional interviews and the others do the real news stuff. Everyone has their place and Annes is not as Co-Host........just saying

Boop

Hey, no one has to slam another Today Show host to love Ann. I love Ann. I can't believe this news. Maybe that is why she wasn't there today? Maybe that is why they announced Meredith for the Olympics.
What a shame if this is true.

Kenneth

That is complete crap. Ann is one of the few reasons I even bother to watch in the morning. If they dump her, I guess I will switch to GMA. Geez maybe fat ass Al will roll into her seat.

Truck

Matt Lauer is an idiot and an egomaniac. That he is making this disgusting amount of money should make any person concerned about the state of our nation vomit. The man has no talent, and should be kicked to the curb. What a moron.

Disgusted

I can't stand Savannah. She is so incredibly liberal. If you ever hear her talk about Obummer you can see how she worships him as if he were some kind of god. Ann seems way classier and Matt is a badgering idiot.

Surfer Gal

Ann got stuck with Octomom last year. I was shocked to see Matt get stuck with her this time. Didn't seem anyone as "important" as Matt Lauer would have done the interview. Ann could always do DATELINE but I think Kate Snow is doing that more & more now (along with Nightly News subbing). Kate Snow would be perfect on TODAY. She was the GMA weekend anchor for a long time & she was fantastic. I don't think Savannah or Natalie are quite ready yet for the job.

Sandra

Sick of Lauer and his pathetic ego!! Interesting how quickly he made up his mind after Seacrest was on the show!! Ann is likeable but not the right person for the job!!! Today has become so boring that the program needs to hire all new people!!

yvette

use to watch Today Show for years,there like zombies there.GMA is full of enjoyment laughing enjoying them self.
ITS time to clean house. matt lauer is not worth $30 million not even $17 million the whole today show is a joke anymore.

today

show to long

kim

I SINCERELY HOPE NOBODY WATCHES MR. PANTY WASTE AND HE FAILS MISERABLY...

Paul

What! Ann is awesome! I think NBC would lose big to let Ann go.

littleT

just lost all respect for Matt, he has let his money and fame got to his head and let his heart turn to stone, Ann is a wonderful addition to the Today show, she is classy and has a big heart, Savannah is clueless on all levels and NOT co-host material

Susan

Ann's personally appears to be weak, but Savannah is not strong on interviews. I didn't like her on MSNBC. All this for Matt? Big mistake but NBC & especially MSNBC anchors are horrible to begin with.

jason

I have no problem with your story, but once again, you use a picture that has absolutely on connection to the story except that it's Matt Lauer. It makes him look like an ******* connected with a story that pushes the point. It's not right to post this kinda pic with this kinda story. You guys do it all the time.