Acura

We're So Sorry We Excluded

Dark-Skinned Blacks

4/18/2012 12:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0418_acura_senfeld

Acura has issued a full-on apology ... after we ran a story that the car company's ad people sought an African American actor to play a car dealer who was "not too dark."

The commercial -- which featured Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno and ran during the Super Bowl -- was cast by an agency that sent out a casting sheet, looking for a "nice looking, friendly, not too dark" African American actor to play the role of dealer.

Acura just issued this statement:  "We apologize to anyone offended by the language on the casting sheet used in the selection of actors for one of our commercials."

The car company added, "We sought to cast an African-American in a prominent role in the commercial, and we made our selection based on the fact that he was the most talented actor."

As for the language "not too dark," Acura says, "The casting sheet was only now brought to our attention.  We are taking appropriate measures to ensure that such language is not used again in association with any work performed on behalf of our brand."

Mike

I am waiting to see the story now making headlines because it excluded other lighter skin colored races from being casted.

Kimberella

This is not news. Yawn.

Ih8Taxes

How come it didn't ask for a white actor? We need a white version of Al Sharpton to whip up the white masses. Oh wait, that was 70 years ago and his name was...never mind.

stella

beyond effin stupid.

harvey, please please please stop using your incredible power for nonsense. this was pure stirring up trouble to generate hits, and we already have enough REAL racial problems in this country. we have all kinds of effin real problems in this country.

start exposing real corruption and real injustice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mumra the Ever Living

Acura just issued this statement: "We apologize to anyone offended by the language on the casting sheet used in the selection of actors for one of our commercials."
Does that mean they expect a thumbs up from the racist crackers?
Why don't they just say "We apologize..." and leave it at that.

Esther

Looks to me like Ocean Park Casting is the one who messed up. They probably just lost quite a few clients. Acura hired them to secure the actors. I would blame the casting agent for the ridiculous wording.

niles

just asking: is it not racist to specify that they want an African-American actor?

Denver

Search for Julian Bond on youtube when he was on Saturday Night Live with Garrett Morris. He'll tell you what he thinks about this subject!

sPaNkdEnALgAs

Oh. My. God. Seriously? Black people are out there shooting and killing eachother & they're worried about a frickin' commercial??? Jesus, just stop using black actors & wham....problem solved. Oh i forgot, there is this stupid thing called "affirmative action"...

EarthsQuotes

I believe in the brotherhood of all men, but I don't believe in wasting brotherhood on anyone who doesn't want to practice it with me. Brotherhood is a two-way street. Malcom X At earthsquotes.com

Dylan

DISGUSTED THAT TMZ CREATED THIS FALSE WAR. AS I STATED EARLIER, I HAVE BLONDE HAIR, BLUE EYES AND AM AN ACTOR IN L.A.
I NEVER GET WORK BECAUSE CASTING BREAKDOWNS STATE "NO BLONDE HAIR, NO BLUE EYES, NO MODELS." THAT'S FACT.
TMZ YOU JUST LOST TWO VIEWERS IN OUR HOUSE!

Cat

Umm I guess there is racism in the black among themselves.... WOW . He is black. Who cares how light he is . It is not his fault.

carrie

Why does it matter if they wanted a specific type of person? If they were looking for a red head are all the blondes and brunettes going to come together and get pissed? I think not! If they wanted a dark skinned man then great, light brown, whatever, super pale white, ok fine. Why can't we specifically ask for stuff anymore? Why does everything have to be so effing fair? Life isn't fair and we should be albe to be specific about what is needed or wanted in a freakin ad!

alia

wow, was the white actor the politically-correct shade of white????....it's really gotten out of hand...hope they get what they are actually after...money - in yet another bogus law suit..stupid!

Mara

Oh my gosh!!! BET has only blacks and no whites... where do we sue??? Oh my gosh!!! There is an only black movies and no whites in it!!! where do I complain???? oh my gosh?!?!!??! and who are the racist????? Oh my gosh??!?!?!?!