Acura

We're So Sorry We Excluded

Dark-Skinned Blacks

4/18/2012 12:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0418_acura_senfeld

Acura has issued a full-on apology ... after we ran a story that the car company's ad people sought an African American actor to play a car dealer who was "not too dark."

The commercial -- which featured Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno and ran during the Super Bowl -- was cast by an agency that sent out a casting sheet, looking for a "nice looking, friendly, not too dark" African American actor to play the role of dealer.

Acura just issued this statement:  "We apologize to anyone offended by the language on the casting sheet used in the selection of actors for one of our commercials."

The car company added, "We sought to cast an African-American in a prominent role in the commercial, and we made our selection based on the fact that he was the most talented actor."

As for the language "not too dark," Acura says, "The casting sheet was only now brought to our attention.  We are taking appropriate measures to ensure that such language is not used again in association with any work performed on behalf of our brand."

laura

I don't think they should apologize. Is it any different than looking for a blond, an old person, someone short, someone fat, ect..?

S

They are also excluding blacks as criminals on network crime shows. How come every show I watch features a white man or rarely a white woman as the criminal? Check it out and see what I mean.

sr

Is there a tinting chart that should be used in the future? The dude in the picture looks dark to me.

Karen

Oh please if Acura had said they want someone no too white, not to pale or ghostly looking or not to jewish(look at the nose) looking there would have been a consumer alert to not buy anything assoociated with Acura. Just like when Newt called you white women sluts and prostitutes for wanting your birth control, many of you went ballistic at such horiible comments. The point is, too many of you idiots don't have a clue because your white skin has never been an isuue.

Dixie

who cares? if thats what they wanted for their commercial, thats their business

TH

I am shaking my head here jezz well guess its time to find another site

Pua

Jiminy, lets have a national black pity party for cryin out loud....

KIR

As a black man I could care less what shade of black they wanted to use. So get over it racist. Not all black or even the majority of black care.

dray24

I keep hearing these rumors about there not being a race problem but I am not seeing any evidence of it.

mary

Oh come on and get over yourselves. I'm so sick and tired of hearing all this racist whining. I'm Italian and no body gets more stereotypical coverage than we do. Who cares? If someone is hiring a person they have the right to hire who ever they want...fat, skinny, light, dark, tall, short. That's the way it goes in life. This race card crap has been way too over used in my opinion.

Lynn

If you can't relate to blacks don't comment negativity. People are so ignorant and need to shut their mouths.

Nicoleasm

Guys you cannot say black people need to get over the fact that if a group or company doesn't want a certain race then they should be allowed to state that and that is just their preference. We don't live in Jim crow era of the 40s and 50s. We cannot put up signs in restaurants, stores, schools, clubs, or even neighborhoods that say "no blacks, hispanics, gays or Jews" or even "whites only". Employers can't put up notices that say "only heterosexual white males apply". And you can't pass that off as its just their preference and their entitled to it. It wasn't right then, and it's not now for the people that want to stay in that period in their minds. We have laws now to protect people against racial, religious, sex, and COLOR descrimination. I hate to break to everyone, but it's not okay in 2012 for people of all races and colors to not have an equal opportunity especially in our wonderful US

Colette

This is par for the course and not news. I'm an African American actor in Seattle and see castings for "African American" voice over talent all the time! What exactly does that mean? Are they looking for a stereotype of "sassy urban slang", "gangsta", people who drop their consonants, what? I have perfect diction, however, I know several non-African Americans who can't speak clearly. I've never seen a casting call for Asians who can't pronouce their "Ls" - that would be racist, no? But casting directors and their clients see color in the most pedestrian ways... Ignorant.

mary

when someone writes a movie, televison show, commercial, screen play they write it with specific people in mind. That's their perogative. This political correct crap is over the top. Every time you turn around someone is offended. What a bunch of cry babies our society has become.

Enough

TMZ...doing the Devil's work.