Acura Super Bowl Commercial

Only Light-Skinned Blacks

Need Apply

4/18/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0_276y7lkx_0_i0jmfdz6(1)
You know that Acura commercial with Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno that aired during the Super Bowl -- well, we got hold of the casting call document, and they were very specific/exclusionary about their dream African American car dealer.

According to the casting doc, the role of African American car dealer would be played by a "Nice looking, friendly, Not too dark" African American car dealer.

Casting document for the Acura NSX Super Bowl Commercial
We just got hold of the document from an African American actor who didn't fit the profile, and who's pissed.

We made lots of calls, trying to find out why "dark" African Americans weren't right for the role.  Someone associated with casting the commercial tells us ... one of the reasons for the "not too dark" restriction was because lighting and special effects would get tricky.

We made calls to Acura but no one got back to us.

update_bar
Acura just apologized for the wording in the casting call document -- claiming, "We apologize to anyone offended by the language."

darcy macdonnell

get real ..every black wants to be lighter, whiter...why is
that a revelation ? you sell more with someone closer to being white and good looking...most of us walk quickly in opposite direction when we see 2 dark black men coming near....face it....

Justin

I'm in my 40's, grew up in the 70's and 80's and sick of the oversensitivity. Whether it's not understanding the media industry or claiming every single thing that happens is a racial issue, it's getting pretty old. There is truly discrimination out there. But when it seems like almost everything is claimed to be due to race, then the real issues are minimized. If you're working at Wal-mart and unhappy, it's not because you're Black. My White family members work there too. I'm much more successful than they are, at least financially. I studied hard, work like a dog, and am smart about investing my money. We came from the same family and I'm working a triple digit salaried job while they had the same chance I did and ended up in jail and in the service industry. I have a mild physical disability, not protected by any gov't regulations but which I have to overcome every day. I accept the cards I was dealt and do the best I can with them. Interestingly, I hear none of my family complain all that much. They're happy with their family and their life, not blaming everyone else for their problems. So if you don't like where you are in life, sit down and figure out what you did to put yourself there, get an education if you don't have one, and put work into improving yourself.

Crissy

White people keep crying they want racism to stop but, they still are the main ones who is discriminating. This is all racist. Stop complaining when blacks stand up for their rights, it will soon be stand your ground because, this color **** it's really getting to a boiling point. If, they want the raw pale light tone person to view a person, just keep the racist show the way it has always been, nothing but, honkies or red-neck sick minded, child molester white people. This show has been in a lot of trouble before their racist comments before. It will soon be off the air soon, to the racist show as a light-skin African-American female black is black you dumb asses.

Ms Mary

Reading these comments I now know who are the real N's. It's so sad how people like to talk ish. I would so love to see each and everyone who has something to say on here go up to a black person and call them a name in their face. Doubt if that would happen because its much easier to talk ish behind their backs or on a board because you already know the whipping you would get. Stop thinking that all black people will smile and be nice and take the dumb ish from you its not like that believe its not.

cb

So what. Go find another role to apply for. There are just many, recognizeable, dark skinned, black male actors in Hollywood as their are light skinned. How about we just grow some thicker skin?

izandroro

These guys need to get out of the business because they aren't going to be getting any work.

neenee

That is some BULL-----------------

raven

I guess the willie lynch letter is still working after hundreds of years. If you don't know what I'm talking about, search and read the WILLIE LYNCH LETTER. SAD

INeedFacebookFriends.com

i gotta cut my toenails.

Jens

I'm guessing the actor that sold his audition notice to tmz is not so bright..his audition date and audition time is on the notice and it's likely he was required to sign an nda at the time he auditioned, it's fairly common practice when there's a celebrity involved so I think there maybe a lawsuit in his future..good job at protecting your sources tmz!

Laurel

That's not a good enough apology from Acura. It's basically only apologizes to those who felt offended by it. Instead, they need to apologize to all people of color without exceptions. The NAACP needs to get involved. If anyone remembers who they are, that is. Perhaps it's time for Al Sharpton??

john

I should be the most pissed off....I'm white!!! At least he had a chance, they wanted an african american guy. I'm pissed!!

Chris

look at these posts and you can tell who is white or non-black and they still don't get it. they call it 'playing th race card'. this is exclusionary which is discrimination. yes, we know that most 'elite' car makers such as Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. pander to the so called wealthy to 'boost' their image which is wrong but they have yet to blatantly broadcast it. ironically it is blacks who flock to those brands for reasons I don't have time or space to discuss (vanity and image) even when the cars are out of thier budget. in any case, this is discriminatory though we know most 'elitist' are anyhow.

nancy morgan

OMG WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED,HEY AT LEAST THEY ARE SHOWING YOU THERE TRUE COLORS,,,,WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO RACE AND COLOR IN THIS WORLD NOTHING SURPRISES ME,,,,TAKE HEED FROM WHERE IT IS COMING FROM,DONT BUY IT DONT PROMOTE IT,LOOK ELSEWHERE,,,,,,,MOVING RIGHT ALONG,,,,,,,TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED,,,,,,AMEN AMEN.......

Rachel

Casting calls typically have specifications about what look they're going for and what works best for that specific role/set- this may include hair color, eye color, height, weight, age and/or skin tone. All the brunettes don't complain every time someone asks for a blonde. Should white people be complaining because it specified "African American"?