Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Don

Ah, yet another icon passes away. Remember watching American Bandstand with so many young artists on his show. Bye Dick, rest in peace.

mousetrap

God Bless you Dick. I have no doubt you are with the angels. You were a constant, good, moral force, even since I was a kid in the 70's. God Bless you. And your family. I know that you are on the clouds of heaven and in Jesus' arms today.

Sandra

Dick Clark was a classy man who became a legend and he will be missed!! Ryan Seacrest has represented him well and he is a class act too!! People could learn how to behave in the public arena from these two men!!

AnnieSH

What a wonderful article, TMZ. Obviously you had great admiration for him. *hugs* Well done.

Raydogg

Thanks, Mr. Clark for all the saturday mornings. goodbye to the worlds oldest teenager.

jason

It was nothing but a public persona people. Get a grip. Am I the only I that thinks this guy was probably the biggest ahole on the planet when he wasnt on that stupid show kissing celebrity ass. OJ simpson was perceived as one of the greatest guys on the planet untill he sliced those people up. The point is public persona is fake as hell! What was Dick clarks talent anyway? That he paved the way for Ryan Seacrest? yuck. A mouth piece that everyone worships like some sort of saint.

Kimberly Lauritzon

I made an online memorial for Dick Clark – feel free to join in and put a flower or a candle with your name on it. RIP Dick Clard, the best TV host ever born! http://www.memmento.com/Memorial-at-Memmento/668/Dick-Clark

jack

wow this new years comming up is going to be borring rip

mertie brewer

R.I.P Dick clark you will be missed

Mary Brennan

Such a sad day! Dick Clark was a HUGE part of my life growing up. I watched him on Bandstand, on tons of game shows (my fave was the Pyramid), and all of my new years eves were spent watching New Year's Rocking Eve. My heart goes out to his family. He will be greatly missed. RIP, Mr. Clark.

Annemarie McDonald

Thanks for the memories Mr.Clark May you RIP

gabbothefabbo

Dick Clark was not only a legend but a total SWEETHEART. He never let the fame get to him that I once got to snag a hug outta him : )

Brenda

Sad news! RIP Dick Clark I spent many New Years watching you.He was a very kind nice man.He was one of the good ones!!

gabbothefabbo

twilightmom

"America's oldest Teenager". =)
RIP Mr. Clark, I remember those Saturday afternoons directly after the morning cartoons went off. Waiting to watch "American Bandstand"! Sooo many of my favorites were seen on your show.
You were truly a brave man to return to what you loved every NYE after 2004. And each year you sounded better and stronger, you were a fighter. And you were....an icon.
You will be missed greatly, and by many, many, millions. Thank you for the music. ='o{