Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Diane

May God hold you in his arms!!! You brought alot of joy to the world

Kàt

Dick Clark: Thank you for the memories. You will be missed and never ever forgotten.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

I miss Dick already...Can't wait until my boyfriend gets home.

Mike

the day the music died....rest in peace....

stlrockn

We salute a musical icon. Wish I could have met him. Dick gave us the first glimpses on TV of many that would become legends. I got my early musical education watching Bandstand in the 60s. He promoted many legendary tours. He put Jimi Hendrix on opening up for The Monkees! God bless you Dick. Thank you for the soundtrack to my life.

Gretel

RIP Mr Clark. All of you can talk about music, but this man was the *god* of music promoters for 50 years. He owned it 50 years ago and up until this morning he still owned it. No one can touch him as far as what he did musically, and he did it with class from day one. Can you even imagine what is going on in Heaven right now?

DEE

DICK CLARD WAS THE BEST ONE I HAD SO MUCH FUN ON BANDSTAND IN PHILA,THERE WILL NEVER BE ANY ONE AS GREAT AS HIM I WILL MISS HIM ALOT,,GOOD OLD ROCK N ROLL DAYS

Jillian

Dick Clark is more than an icon he's a supericon!
RIP Dick.....You will be sorely missed.

BettieOoo

R.I.P. DICK CLARK - YOU WILL FOREVER BE A LEGEND!!

Prophet

Thank God! So glad we don't have to watch him drool and slobber on New Years Eve anymore. That was disgusting!!!

Lindy

A few nasty undeserved comments on this board. I worked for the man for a brief time and he was genuinely as nice and decent and uneffected by his fame as anyone I have ever met. People, ignor the hatful comments.

Rich

I started college in 1958. It was a ritual that we ALL crowded around the ONE TV in our dorm's common area to view American Bandstand daily. We respected Dick Clark and actually learned the names (first) of many of the regular dancers. Rest in Peace my friend.

tcidda

People come and go but Dick Clark was a legend.RIP MR. CLARK

Tim

Here is his Facebook Memorial Page, thanks for the Memories Dick Clark: facebook. com/DickClarkMemorialPage

Tani

Rest in Peace, Mr. Clark.