Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

eveline

my arrival in the United States stood out with the TV programs I learned to know. You were one of them I loved to watch.....You were one Classy Men....

amanda

You were true kind man that will be missed by millions of people R I P you touched some many lives and you will never be forgotten sympathy to is family

katy

RIP Dick, a true American Icon, how can we forget Saturday afternoons and American Bandstand? One who will never be replaced.

jake

Ryan Seacrest wishes he had half the talent Dick Clark had in his little finger. RIP Mr. Clark. Hey Ryan ... RETIRE PLEASE!

melissa rosas

So sad to hear about Dick Clark's passing... Since i was a child Dick Clark was always a household name.. My heart goes out to his family, their in my prayers. New Years will never be the same.. Rest in peace Dick! you're home now.. :(..

gepajori

Rest in Peace Dick...so long. You were blessed to have been born in an era of such musical greats.

Carol

Im So Very Sorry I Hear About Dick Clack I Hear About DickClack Last Night On Line,Hes Great I Always See Him On Tv N.Y Time Squares Rocking Eve

Jackie Allen

R.I.P. to one of the coolest and world renowned MC's to grace the TV. You will be missed by many

angelablogger

Rest in Peace

Lin

A true gentleman who will be sorely missed.R.I.P.Mr. Clark and thank you for all the fond memories.

President

I thought he dies a long time ago along with Saturday Night Live! Well at least he is dead. It wont be long till SNL and all the pathetic actors are off the air!

wooosh

He's always been around it seems... You will be missed Dick. RIP

msb

I was so sorry to hear avbout Dick Clark.
I wonder why the media isn't saying exactly what type of "out patient procedure" he had just prior to his massive heart attack????? It's evident that Mr. Clark was no stranger to Plastic Surgery...so I was thinking maybe he was trying to look good so he could make an appearance on New Years Rockin' Eve this year? Just sayin'.

Carlos De La Milera

He will be missed. God Bess his Soul!

Patty Haas

Dick Clark helped us to all grow and enjoy the music as it happened year by year. He was someone you looked up to if you had a dream of music. He will be greatly missed.