Dick Clark

Dead at 82

'Massive Heart Attack'

4/18/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Dick Clark has died.
Dick Clark
-- famed TV producer and "New Year's Rockin' Eve" host -- died from a massive heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Clark's rep tells TMZ, the TV icon had been in St. John's hospital in L.A. after undergoing an outpatient procedure last night. Clark suffered the "massive" heart attack following the procedure. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark was 82.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_moments

Clark's health had been on the decline since he suffered a significant stroke in 2004 -- forcing him to retire from his hosting gig at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which he created in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over in 2006. Dick has appeared on the show sporadically ever since. His final appearance was in 2011.

Months before suffering a stroke, Clark told Larry King he also suffered from Type 2 diabetes.

Clark got his first big break in 1956, hosting what was called "Bob Horn's Bandstand" ... what would later be renamed "American Bandstand." Clark continued to host and produce "American Bandstand" until 1989.

Dick hosted Miss USA from 1989-1993 -- and Miss Universe 1990-1993.

In addition, Clark also hosted a bunch of game shows -- like "Pyramid," "Scattergories," "The Challengers," and many more.

Clark had been inducted into practically every hall of fame on the planet -- including the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame.

Clark had also received a total of 5 Emmy Awards for his work, as well as a Peabody Award. One Emmy was a lifetime achievement award.

Clark was married 3 times -- and has 3 children from his first two marriages. He is survived by his current wife Kari Wigton.

"For now, Dick Clark ... so long."

update_bar
5:20 PM PT: Dick Clark's rep tells TMZ, there will be NO public funeral. In lieu of flowers, Dick's family asks that donations be made to the National Parkinson’s Foundation based in Miami.

Ryan Seacrest
just tweeted, writing, "I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life."

Donny Osmond tells us, "The industry lost a legend today, but I feel like I've lost a very close friend. Dick was a mentor to me."

The President of Miss Universe Paula Shugart -- who started working for Dick Clark Productions in 1985 -- tells TMZ, Dick "gave me my first break in TV. His death is hitting all of us hard."

The Internet's EXPLODING with reactions from celebrities -- click here for live updates.

0418_a_dick_clark_footer_lrg

Arye Michael Bender

Physically a small man. But a giant in every other way. He may have opened more doors for more talent than anyone in the history of music. And he loved the music, and the people who created it. I worked with him a few times. He was also a very good guy.

Temperance

Grew up with him on Bandstand...Never another "you"!

Peggy Tomlinson

God Bless the Family of Dick Clark RIP, we all will miss you,The Family are in my prayer's

Peggy Tomlinson

God Bless the Family of Dick Clark and R.I.P we all will miss you,The Family of Dick Clark are in my prayer's

murf

Dick Clark you were an awesome Man, may you rest in peace.

Hannah

I grew up watching American Bandstand.He had so many talented people on his show and many went onto greater success and a lot of it was coz of Dick and being on his show.I hope Dick is having a ball up there being reunited with famous singers and musicians.:)

Butters_Creamy_Goo

Very sad news. To make you even more sad, now we will have more Ryan Seacrest.

mikebo

The oldest teenager is gone but never forgotten.

Ken Chartrand

RIP Dick Clark! I remember Teen Dance Party days

just_sayin'

so long Dick Clark....RIP

Donna Kay

Sorry to see him go. He has been around the music industry for years. American bandstand was always watched. NYE won't be the same.

Cheryl A.

So sorry to hear of Mr. Clark's passing. Rest in Peace, Sir and Thank you for all the great music and the Rockin' New Year's Eve "parties" You will be missed.

Allen

R.I.P. Mr Clark you will be missed and New Years will never be the same with out you.

RUKidding

FOR YOU DICK............................................ We're goin' hoppin' (Hop) We're goin' hoppin' today Where things are poppin' (Pop) The Philadelphia way We're gonna drop in (Drop) On all the music they play On the Bandstand (Bandstand) We're goin' swingin' (Swing) We're gonna swingin' the crowd And we'll be clingin' (Cling) And floatin' high as a cloud The phones are ringin' (Ring) My mom and dad are so proud I'm on Bandstand (Bandstand) And I'll jump, and hey, I may even show 'em my handstand Because I'm on, because I'm on the American Bandstand When we dance real slow I'll show all the guys in the grandstand What a swinger I am, I am on American Bandstand We're goin' hoppin We're goin' hoppin today Where things are poppin The Philadelphia way We're gonna drop in On all the music they play On the Bandstand (Bandstand) Bandstand Bandstand Bandstand Bandstand The Bandstand The Bandstand (What d'ya know--Here on the show--ready to go--what a pro) Hey I'm makin' my mark Gee, this joint is jumpin' They made such a fuss just to see us arrive Hey, it's Mr. Dick Clark What a place you've got here Swell spot the music's hot here Best in the east, give it at least a seventy five! Now for all you Joe's here goes my American handstand Because I'm on, because I'm on the American Bandstand As we dance real slow I'm showin' the guys in the grandstand That I like my girl, but I love American Bnadstand The singers' croonin' He ain't the greatest but gee My baby's swoonin' In front of all of TV So if you tune in You'll see my baby and me On the Bandstand (Bandstand) And now we're hoppin And we'll be hopppin all day When things are poppin The philadelphia way And you can drop in On all the music they play On the Bandstand Bandstand And we'll rock and roll and stroll on American Lindy hop and slop, it's American Tune in, I'm on, Turn on, I'm in, I'm on Today (Bandstand)

sternnation.com

Guess todays boring Howard Stern show killed him.