Howard Hughes

Famous Airplane Crash Mansion

... UP FOR SALE!

4/20/2012 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0420_howard_hughes_crash_pad_launch_2
For Sale -- sprawling Beverly Hills mansion ... 6,246 square feet ... 4 beds, 4.5 baths ... 3 balconies ... sparkling pool ... oh, and Howard Hughes once crashed an airplane into the garage.

According to our friends at Curbed.com, the home -- once owned by actress Rosemary DeCamp -- just went on the market with a $6.9 million price tag.

It's one of the homes Hughes damaged during the maiden flight of his XF-11 plane ... which crashed in Bev Hills on July 7, 1946 when Hughes ran out of oil.

Hughes hit three homes on his way down including this one at 805 N. Linden. Hughes barreled through the bedroom and across the garage ... before finally slamming into another home nearby. Hughes was seriously injured in the crash ... which was famously recreated in the movie, "Aviator."

It's the ultimate crash pad.

CSRussell

Don't make Hughes sound like a fool! He did not "run out of oil" the VERY experimental plane he was flying suffered a failure of a rubber gasket causing the oil used to change the pitch of the propellers to leak out. It is not like he forgot to put oil in the thing.

Ace

Good thing he wasn't flying the Spruce Goose, might have taken out all of Beverly.

vern dufford

And that might have been a good thing!
Seriously cool post!

Fidel's niece

What a lovely house...
and Hughes was a genius,
people forget that and just
remember him as a recluse and a weirdo
he became in his later years.
The man was brilliant!

Hisjules

test

Jay W.

Nice newsreel... July, 11 1946

ericmlange

As a pilot myself, Howard Hughes was an amazing aviator and businessman! The XF-11 crash in Beverly Hills was because of the Contra-Rotating Propellors. 1 propellor went into reverse in flight, which caused the crash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra-rotating_propellers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_XF-11

El Gato

Agree, "Ran out of oil" sounds very ignorant. Hughes was an amazing individual flush riveting, retractable landing gear, bell shaped engine housings, the Falcon missile and guidance systems, television broadcast satellites the list goes on and on, quite the legacy.

peoplearesilly

B O R I N G. Very uninteresting.

IceGypsy

Think the tile floors and the tiled stairs are hideous...house needs a lot of work and not worth the asking price.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Yeah, I would like to inspect a house with suit on and no hard hat.

Ed

My grandfather, Walter Hergert, was one of the three Marines that pulled him out of the plane. He had never even told my grandmother about it. No one in the family knew until a friend/coworker of my grandmother saw his name, and the account in a Howard Hughes book around 1973. She asked my grandfather about the incident, and he just saw it as "no big deal" he was "just doing my duty". From my understanding, Howard Hughes invited all three Marines over to his house the following week for dinner to thank them.

To this day, I still wonder if my grandfather, and the other two Marines were ever named in the missing will.

Straight Talkin Texan

Thanks for including the link of the old crash footage! VERY cool! But that crash was crazy! Hughes was a wild man for sure! lol

Pretty house! But that green bathroom is ghastly! Oh, the Horror! My eyes! My eyes!

Suzieque

some pics of original damage to the roof would add value!

Oluwatoyin smith

It is very sad news for the anyone.
Homestead Coupon Code