Breastfeeding Org.

We LOVE Time Mag Cover,

Except ...

5/10/2012 3:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Time magazine cover with breastfeeding
The 3-year-old kid suckling from his mother's teet on the cover of Time Magazine is NOT too old to breastfeed ... so says a powerful breastfeeding organization -- but they do have one gripe.

TMZ spoke with Bettina Forbes -- co-founder of Best for Babes -- an advocacy group dedicated to educating moms about breastfeeding.

Forbes tells us, "We understand that Americans are uncomfortable with [the Time cover], but in cultures where babies wean themselves normally, usually somewhere around age 3 or 4, it is perfectly acceptable."

She adds, "Think of it this way -- some cultures have been drinking green tea for millennia, only recently has it become popular in the United States once the health benefits were understood and it was popularized by marketing ... breastfeeding is the same, it is accepted and valued in many cultures, but not yet fully in the U.S."

As for the gripe -- Forbes says her first choice would have been Jennifer Garner in the role of breastfeeder ... but "we're happy with anything that is an appealing image, provokes conversation, and ultimately desensitizes people to breastfeeding."

Cherigoof

Sick sick sick

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

If that kid is the size of a midget. It's best to stop breast feeding him or her. That picture is not right. Not right at all. Time should put up proper picture of a woman breast feeding an "infant".

LisaT

There is something wrong when a woman still allows a child of 3 or 4 to still breast feed. Breast feeding is to provide nourishment to the baby. If a child can eat regular food then it does not need to be breast feeding. Last I heard a 3 and 4 year old can eat regular food. We do not live in a country where food is scarce. So they do not need to continue breast feeding a 3 or 4 year old.

Megan

I don't have an issue with women breastfeeding in public, but do it respectively. Cover yourself up so that the entire world can't see everything that is going on. I am a women and I would not want everyone getting a free show. This cover is ridiculous. And I am sorry but that kid looks way too old to be breastfed.

Bethy

They are correct...the vast majority of babies in this world are breastfed until 2-4, and weaning is a natural process, usually done by around 2, but some kids go longer. IN the US, it's ridiculous that there is this arbitrary 6 or 12 month cutoff date for weaning. Breastfeeding is very beneficial to the baby, both for immunity but also brain development. My own mom breastfed her 5 kids until we were between 18mos and 2.5 years old (this was in the 70's and 80's) and let us wean ourselves for the most part.

As the oldest of the 5, i saw all of my siblings breast fed and it seemed completely natural to me, no big deal....and do not come from a hippy-dippy family, either. I still don't get how some people are so uncomfortable with the idea that a breast being suckled. Although by 3-5, it could be that the parents aren't supplying proper nutritional supplements that the kids needs, or (and I know some women who do this!) they use nursing as a form of maintaining structure in their child's life, such as nursing before bed. I may not necessarily think that's a great idea, but I doubt that it's causing any major psychological issues with the child. It's the western culture that is telling mothers this is a bad thing...which is a shame.

No comment

The reality is this woman is young, attractive, fit, with small perky breasts. She had her son over 3 years ago. The reality is when you see a woman breastfeeding in public, they are 30 to 40lbs overweight from having a baby, she doesn't have time to fix her hair and make up, her breasts are huge and sagging from the weight of the milk.

CelebJustice

This child will go from the teat of his mother to sucking the teat of the government. I see a future Occupier

croc

hey TMZ, show the whole picture!

Trina

I think that pick is not what I want to see. If people choose to breast feed good for them but I believe they should cover up when the do it.

HappyBottom

It's spelled T E A T, idiot.

Criss

That "3 year old" looks closer to 6!

zman

Well...not the most accurate Time cover.....why?
1. Mom is too good looking, looks like she just got done working out.
2. NO WAY do those boobs have milk in them, too small.
3. No way is that kid 3 or 4....looks like 7,8 or 9.

Just a cheap 'get' for readership. 'nuff said.

Justathought

Is it just me or does that kid have facial hair?

StillAtMyMoms

How to make print media relevant again....

...by turning a once reputable news magazine into a circus sideshow. Tacky yet refined? I think someone beat you to it, Time.

rosebud

I breastfeed all my kids and when they were 6 months that was the end of it. If these women want to give there kids breast milk get a breast pump, There's no excuse for older children to be sucking on there mothers nipples, In the poor countries they do it because of the lack of food that's a big difference then living here, Whats that kid going to do when he is in school? Call mom.