Breastfeeding Org.

We LOVE Time Mag Cover,

Except ...

5/10/2012 3:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Time magazine cover with breastfeeding
The 3-year-old kid suckling from his mother's teet on the cover of Time Magazine is NOT too old to breastfeed ... so says a powerful breastfeeding organization -- but they do have one gripe.

TMZ spoke with Bettina Forbes -- co-founder of Best for Babes -- an advocacy group dedicated to educating moms about breastfeeding.

Forbes tells us, "We understand that Americans are uncomfortable with [the Time cover], but in cultures where babies wean themselves normally, usually somewhere around age 3 or 4, it is perfectly acceptable."

She adds, "Think of it this way -- some cultures have been drinking green tea for millennia, only recently has it become popular in the United States once the health benefits were understood and it was popularized by marketing ... breastfeeding is the same, it is accepted and valued in many cultures, but not yet fully in the U.S."

As for the gripe -- Forbes says her first choice would have been Jennifer Garner in the role of breastfeeder ... but "we're happy with anything that is an appealing image, provokes conversation, and ultimately desensitizes people to breastfeeding."

Jay W.

Though many not find the humor... kids not doing to bad for a three year old.

john johnson

that should of been me. but while i'm doing that, i'll just need her to put one of her hand down my pants.

KIM

THIS IS SO SICK! ONCE YOUR CHILD TURNS 2 IT'S NO LONGER FEEDING IT JUST MOLESTATION.

wow

Too provocative. It's just wrong. Breastfeeding is for babies and this child is too big. They want this for shock value only.

Gretel

Don't get me wrong. I believe in breastfeeding BABIES. You wish a kid that age stood with his hands at his side. Older kids who nurse do so for comfort only. God only knows why the mother does it, but the kid will demand the breast, grab the breast, expose the breast, suck at the breast and fondle the other one as a warm and cozy comfort zone. This is not pretty in public and even though you LaLeche freaks say it is natural it is disgusting to see a child sucking and playing with breasts.

happypat35

come on, its not like the kid is 12......Joke LOL.

ditto4ever

Haha, really folks, this is obviously a staged photo using models. Breasts do NOT look like that after nursing for 3 years! However, I bet the kid IS enjoying it!

samantha

This is disgusting, If you want your child to have breast milk, use a breast pump and put it in a cup...The sucking can't be good for the teeth of the child, you're supposed to take soothers away once teeth start coming in

radicalred

Just a passing thought here, but I don't know any breastfeeding mothers who schlep around in spaghetti-strap tank tops with no bra. The breasts leak unexpectedly when lactating, and every breastfeeding mother I've ever known has had to wear a bra and a nursing pad. I think this is a stupid picture that was taken just to elicit a response.

valentina

I know breastfeeding is wonderful but this is disgusting. That is something that is private and every woman that breast feeds has the right to breastfeed in public AS LONG AS THEY COVER THEMSELVES DURING FEEDING. No one wants to see that and yes it does make for an uncomfortable environment. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOUR TIT BEFORE SUCKLED ON BY YOUR CHILD!!!! NO ONE!!!!!!

Kathy

There is absolutely no nutritional benefit after one year of age for the baby, so this obviously about making some sort of statement on the mothers part, this kid is gonna hate you at 16. I'm a woman and I breastfed my kids for 10 months.

Faye

Problem is, the kid doesn't look 3. He looks about 6. The picture creeped me out and I breast fed my kids.

StarryStarryNight

did the little kid have any choice about being in the picture?

LadyN

What 3 or 4 year old kid is still on bottled formula? None that I know of. Isn't that the same as breast feeding? By 1 - 1/1/2 they should be weaned and on to food and drinking from a cup. Does this mother go to preschool to "feed" her 4 year old? I am a woman and a mother and I find this cover to be disgusting.

Jason

She looks like Ivanka Trump.