Donna Summer

Dead at 63

5/17/2012 12:00 PM PDT UPDATED: 5/18/2012 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0517_donna_summer_02
update_bar
8:48 AM 5/18/12 -- Donna's memorial is scheduled for next Wednesday in Nashville.

9:27 AM PST-
TMZ has learned ... Donna died from lung cancer.  Several sources are telling us Donna believed she contracted it by inhaling toxic particles after the 9/11 attack in New York City.

9:35 AM PST-
Donna's family just released a statement, claiming, they "are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy."

0314_divider_graphic
Donna Summer -- the Queen of Disco -- died this morning after a battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Summer was in Florida at the time of her death. She was 63 years old.

Sources close to Summer tell us ... the singer was trying to keep the extent of her illness under wraps. We spoke to someone who was with Summer a couple of weeks ago ... who says she didn't seem too bad.

In fact, we're told she was focused on trying to finish up an album she had been working on.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits like "Last Dance," "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls."

She continued her dominance in the '80s with "She Works Hard for the Money" and "This Time I Know It's for Real."

Summer and her producer Giorgio Moroder defined the dance music era of the '70s and influenced acts like Duran Duran and David Bowie to enter the genre.

Summer married Brooklyn Dreams singer Bruce Sudano back in 1980. They had two daughters together.

We had the pleasure of shooting Donna back in 2009 on her way out of Mr Chow ... and she couldn't have been nicer -- smiling, waving and signing for fans.

051712_summer_mr_chow_launch_v2

0517_donna_summer_footer

charley

Wow....I was just listening to On The Radio as I was driving to work...saw she died and actually shed some tears...a big part of my youth...Her and Miss Diana Ross. RIP DONNA...You sing for god now!

Big Daddy

I truly have mixed feeling about her death. Great Voice and personality, but I can't forget how she made me and millions of other gay people feel about her anti-gay remarks, ie: "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve". Donna, where ever you are now, I hope you realize the pain you caused with your homophobic comments and making millions feel that they were "less than". RIP

I Was About To Say

R.I.P. Donna. (Churck Berry outlivin them all)

JT

I have an MP3 disc here in my truck filled with my favorite disco tunes. Many of them are from Donna Summer. On the ride home today, I'll be playing "Last Dance" in her memory. Donna, never got to meet you, but I did get to see you back in 1979 at the Oakland Colosseum. You were my first live concert, and still one of my favorites. Make the angels dance, Donna. I'm sure they'll love you for it.

GF

We'll be well-entertained up there, out there, or wherever it is we go: Donna Summer, Whitney Houston, Davy Jones, Adam Yauch, Donald Dunn ...

OutInTheOC

......it feels like a part of me is gone!

See you on the flip side Donna.

Much Love and Thanks for the Great times!

AG

I know -- I was just listening to her on the radio or Pandora. What a loss. RIP Donna.

Dennie

Donna, you were original. You were the best. Little girls grew up wanting to be like you. RIP.

cindy

RIP Donna

heddahopper

So sad to hear this news...RIP Donna Summer :(

mike

WE DIDN'T COME TO THIS PLACE TO STAY!!!

Jdawg

Always have Loved Donna Summers. Wken I was stationed in Germany Holland and Belgium in the 70s her music was played over and over in every Disco. RIP Donna Summers.

digital_one

A couple of "Hit Wonder" Singer.

Rach

So sad :( We LOVE you Donna...RIP

IceGypsy

She may be gone, but her music will live on forever. RIP Donna, you will be missed.