'Idol' Winner Phillip Phillips

BIG SURGERY IMMINENT

5/24/2012 12:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0524_phillip_phillips_getty_pain
Newly-crowned "American Idol" champ Phillip Phillips will finally undergo urgent kidney surgery next week, TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... Phillips doctors ordered him to undergo a procedure to fix his severe kidney stone problems -- which have worsened since the singer went on "Idol" -- but Phillip refused, insisting on finishing the show first.

But now that it's all over ... and Phillip won ... we're told he's finally planning on getting the operation in L.A. in the next 7-10 days.

We're told Phillip's parents will be flying in for support.

Kidney operations are no joke -- Phillip can expect to spend several days in the hospital, followed by a 6-week recovery period.

0518_phillip_phillips_wailing_footer_v2

IceGypsy

I know he was very overwhelmed when he won, but wondering if part of that was because he was thinking he was finally going to be able to get his surgery over with.

Ace

Good Good luck luck Phillip Phillip

Nichole K

Poor Phillip I'm glad he gets to do this finally! and he totally deserved the win! Now get healthy so he can get back to making the music!

Bo

PP I will be praying for you, I'm extremely HAPPY you won the competition and look forward to listening to your great voice!!

Don't feed the Trolls

I didn't watch not one episode of American Idol this year or the year before for that matter. But this story is sad, I hope everything goes okay. I would hate to win the lotto knowing the whole time I've got something possibly life threatening. Good Luck Brother!

me

OMG Play it up why don't you it's a out patient surgery I have had 7 of them in the last 2 years what a Joke hah

Bridget

I was so happy when Phillip won last night. I wanted him to be the winner all season and now he is. He isn't just good but he really deserved it. I hope everything goes great and he can get his health in order.

Congrats Phillip and good luck!

larry

Hopefully that will cure his ugly singing face

Sally

Good luck to Phillip. I am so happy he won American Idol - he was my choice as he has the whole package and will most definitely be a huge success in the music world.

Melissa

In the next few months it will be Phillip who? He won't amount to anything just like a few of the past winners like Kris Allen and Taylor Hicks.

Look for Phillip Phillips at the next county fair this summer lol

Superman

Sounds like another sympathy "win". "Phillip Phillips"?!? Really? Poor guy. Anyways, good luck with the surgery.

CLINT

Good luck P2. This operation is serious, but fixable. Good luck with your future in music and life.

Lydia

If you voted for Philip, could you reply to this and post your age (or range). A friend says it was all teen girls who voted for him and I believe it was those older and that the teens voted for Jessica. I would like to find some way to prove her wrong. She's being such a witch about it. I'm 42.

Freedom Rose

emergency surgery will not be scheduled 7-10 days away, will it?

I'll bet they have that scheduled long before the finale as they would have known the day of the finale already. All this stuff is made up by TMZ or the AI producers. Shamon you people to be so naive to believe this crap!

There's a problem here

I didn't watch it at all this season but he looks like he took lessons at the John Mayer suck a lemon or make an orgasm face school of emoting

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments