'Diamonds Are Forever' Girl

Hospitalized for SERIOUS

Allergic Reaction

5/26/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0523_lana_wood_tmz_wm
Former Bond girl Lana Wood -- who played Plenty O'Toole in the 1971 classic "Diamonds Are Forever" -- nearly died Tuesday night after going into anaphylactic shock ... and TMZ has obtained a picture of the desperate rescue effort.

We're told she assumed it was just a bad cold -- but then the sneezing started, and her face and tongue swelled up ... so she went to urgent care to get it checked out.

We're told the local urgent care didn't have the resources to treat Lana -- so they called her an ambulance to take her to a nearby hospital.

The above picture was snapped as they were loading Lana into the ambulance.

By the time Lana got to the hospital, her entire face was swollen like a balloon -- forcing her eyelids closed and shutting her mouth. Lana also couldn't speak.

0523_Diamonds-Are-Forever_lana_wood_getty
She was taken home hours later when the swelling subsided. Sources tell us, doctors believe the allergic reaction was triggered by an ingredient in Frosted Mini-Wheats.

We're told Lana is now feeling much better -- but is scared stiff about accidentally setting off another reaction.

ManiacalZebra

She was "cooking" dinner, and they think she's allergic to an ingredient in Frosted Mini Wheats. Sounds like she's not a very good cook if "cooking" consists of a bowl of cereal.

aj

if she was @urgent care, and they are loading her into the ambulance, What is she doing laying in the gutter. This is not the accurate story.

South Beach

She's at an urgent care center, an ambulance comes to get her, and she somehow ends up lying in the gutter?

KnuckleDragger

Sources close to Lana -- the younger sister of Hollywood legend Natalie Wood -- tell TMZ, the actress was cooking dinner at her home in Fillmore, CA when she started having a coughing attack."

Yeah, I always cook my Frosted Mini Wheats too.

buckeyeluvr

I just got through reading all of these comments, and after being relieved that I wasn't the only one to find this story CHOCK FULL of holes.......I literally LOL! No, this story isn't funny (even if it IS full of B.S.), but the comments sure as hell are! BTW, TMZ, you might want to reconsider relying on your "source" where you got this picture of the "desperate rescue effort". I don't think they were giving you the real story. Cooking dinner.....allergic reaction to frosted mini wheats.....riiiiiiight. *smh* AND, if THIS is how they proceed with a "desperate rescue effort".......I hope TO GOD I never fall ill for any reason in CA!!! The EMS where I live wouldn't be standing over you, watching, after the urgent care took your shoe and dumped you into the street (literally, if this story is to be believed) to wait for an ambulance! But, I suppose I should be alright. Because where I'm from, we don't cook our Frosted Mini Wheats!

remy

she has great tits

error

nudes avail if you google image search "Lana Wood"

great tits when she was younger!

Lorie

This has so many bizarre angles. The urgent care place not being able to treat, the Frosted Mini Wheats, or the fact that somewhere between urgent care and the ambulance the poor girl ended up in the gutter. I must say though, be mad at the photogs, but she could look a lot worse.

sd001

Ok, she was at the urgent care clinic..so why is she lying on the ground and not on a stretcher or gurney? No way would they take her out of a clinic and then lay her on the ground without even a blanket under her...something not right here...
On another note, hope she is doing well now

tellmeaboutit

I must have missed something. The urgent care center called an ambulance for her...ok. Then what, did they tell her to go lie in the gutter and wait for it to come?? You'd think the ambulance folk would have taken a stretcher to her.
Anyway, I'm glad she's doing ok. That's scary business.

jester

when do we get the rest of the story?..Urgent care didn't have the facilities to treat her...soo they laid her out by the curb so the ambulance could find her?...something more fishy here than mini wheats

IceGypsy

No idea what might have been in the cereal to cause that. Time to start carrying an epipen. Who knows what might trigger the next attack.

toshw19

I glad she's okay. And I get why she's outside but why didn't the medics put on her a stretcher and why did they let someone come up and take a picture of her. Isn't part of their jobs to keep the scene clear of bystanders.

Carolina

Things like this happen many times a day, but generally to people nobody knows. If you do NOT have insurance, or the money to pay up front, many urgent care places and/or private hospitals will do exactly this...call an ambulance, but literally place you outside, even on the ground, to wait for the ambulance. I have read stories that are even worse than this one. Just do a Google search on stories about uninsured Americans. It will be an eye-opener, and these things can, and DO happen to ANYONE who has no insurance or money. Read/watch: Dumped On Skid Row - CBS News. Read about the Tea Party 'debate' on 'what should happen to uninsured Americans?' (The consensus was "Let them die" Honestly, it WAS!) Our health care system is now mostly for the rich. If you can't afford insurance, you are in deadly danger. Please, Google these things! I'm SURE this is what happened to Lana!

Timothy

I just ran across this article, and was shocked. But these things can happen. I met Ms. Wood in Detroit in 2009, and found her a lovely person. She does not deserve an episode such as this. Sadly, though, food allergies can happen. At least she is still with us!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3