'Idol' Champ Phillip Phillips

Celebrates His Win with a

$25k SURPRISE!

5/27/2012 8:52 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0527_philip_philip_getty
"American Idol" champ Phillip Phillips is celebrating his win by PARTYING LIKE A ROCK STAR IN VEGAS ... at least that's what he should be doing, but instead he's hanging out with his parents and giving them his brand new car!

Sources tell TMZ ... the brand new 2013 Ford Fusion (valued at $25,000) Phillip was given for winning the competition will actually be a gift to his parents ... because he's perfectly happy driving his 2001 Ford Ranger truck (see below) and refuses to give it up.

0527_PHILIP_PHILIP_sub

In fact, we're told Phillip wasn't even tempted to use the new car for himself.

Best. Son. Ever.

Jack King

Yet another Idol winner that will go nowhere. Why do they keep picking guys?? So far every male winner is either doing dinner theater, concerts at small clubs no one goes to or nothing at all.

Ace

1 step up from a Fiesta...wow. Mustang or Escape would have showed they cared.

Woot

LOVE this guy. The only thing I *don't* like about him is that he hunts. *grrr* Same thing I dissed Skylar for, though with her, there was lots more to dislike.

VictoriaGirl

Shouldnt he have saved his winnings for the surgery he needs instead of a new truck his parents didnt need?

brian

Phillip Phillips ...
Really? That's the best his parents could come up with? I just want to slap both of them.

AC

Phillip seems like such a great guy. He is one of the only American Idols winners that I actually would listen to. It's a shame that he is having health problems. I think the reason TMZ chooses goofy pictures of him is because he makes funny faces when he sings... and just in general. I hope he get the success he wants.

Bo

Good for PP, he is so "non-Hollywood", his #1 love is music, the dude not into flashy cars, flashy clothes, and being a male slut, I like his music and his personality, this dude wll go far.

Spencer B in MD

I don't know if I could reward my parents with anything if they named me "Phillip Phillips".

lake

Has anyone asked his parents why they named him Phillip Phillips? Isn't that child abuse?

A really great person would have given the car to some charity to deliver food or medicine, but it's a tainted vehicle anyway, ew!!! I don't watch American Idol but I saw a photo of his audition and he was wearing flip-flops. Should have been jettisoned for that alone.

MikeD

This is sooooo 'mundane' if not banal. Why am I commenting even? That's a silly question. So, why are/am you/I replying to my own comments? If anyone has a 'good' answer, please let me know, because I have absolutely no idea why.

Hannah

Poor guy!!! I hope he wins the surgery... It has got to suck going through something like this!

Susan62509

Anytime you win a gift on t.v. you have to pay the taxes first or the gift is not yours to keep. When a contestant wins a prize on a game show that is part of the arrangement that is not publicized. Some manufacturers will pay the taxes as a 100% gift, but those are never publicized either.

Mike

WELL, IT ISN'T HARD TO GIVE AWAY A PRETTY CHEAP 25 k CAR AWAY THAT YOU DON'T WANT, WHEN YOU JUST WON A MILLION DOLLAR RECORDING CONTRACT.

TOO BAD IDOL AND FORD DIDN'T JUST OFFER HIM A FORD 150 TRUCK!

Jan P

Because he is always mugging. Didnt take the entire competition seriously, ignored his coaches, dressed like a slob. he won with the teeny bopper votte...not singing ability.

Sandra

Really like this guy and hope he has a great career!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments