Gwyneth Paltrow

Triggers Racial Controversy

after Using N-Word

6/4/2012 10:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0604_gwenith_paltrow_on_stage_twitterGwyneth Paltrow ignited a firestorm of criticism after blasting the N-word to her one million Twitter followers this weekend ... while describing a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert in Paris.

Paltrow was rockin out Friday at the "Watch the Throne Tour" ... when she decided to send a twitter pic of herself on stage (above) with the rappers and the caption "Ni**as in paris for real." If you've been under a rock -- or if you're Kris Jenner --  that's the title of a Jay and Kanye song.

The tweet triggered a tidal wave of negative internet buzz ... with fans questioning whether Gwyneth was using the term in a derogatory way. GP later responded unapologetically, "Hold up. It's the title of the song!"

That said, Jay and Kanye did go on to perform their hit song "Ni**as in Paris" a whopping 11 times that night.

S1234

This is absolutely ridiculous…. Don’t we all have “equal” rights?! As a white woman I find certain terms offensive (ex. Cracker) and no I don’t say it. I find it offensive because MAYBE one of my ancestors were called it 100,000 years ago, and what they did wasn’t right BUT, NOT JUST BLACKS WERE SLAVES ! If blacks or African Americans find the word N***a or N***er offensive then done f’in use it. It’s always the “poor” black person. THE BLACKS ARE PULLING THE RACE CARD ! Don’t label yourselves as “African American”, when you ARE a AMERICAN just like the rest of us. This is why racism is still existent. GET OVER WHAT HAPPENED 400 years ago, it happened to many other races other than African Americans. Let’s get over the race game, and all ibe EQUAL as one in AMERICA.

S1234

monkeysuit

She still gives me boners!

www.thegreatmonkeysuit.com

tessa

Use of a words is not delegated by race. To suggest it is racist and wrong.

Mike

It's obvious she did not use it in a derogatory way. She was excited and stated the song aloud! So what! If black folks don't like the word, then DON'T USE IT! It's pretty clear she isn't prejudice if she's at a black concert. If anyone is keeping prejudice alive, it's the cry babies bit@hing about it. We need to move forward and leave prejudice behind. Get over it folks.

T

umm yeah .. N__GA and N__GER are two completely different words in my opinion -- if its used by a black man in the name of his song = fare game !! People need to stop giving words so much power over them ! its ridiculous if you actually sit back and think about it …… do we need to start teaching grown ups the old saying " sticks and stones may break my bones but a word will never hurt me !!"

Yesenia

I was at the bus stop with my friends singing this song and there was an african- american couple and when we didnt say the n-word they laughed and told us it was okay to say in the song.

jac smith

Jay and Kanye are two morons. Why have that as the title of a song. Wonder how he is going to feel when someone calls his daughter the n worrd

Mary

Yeah, Gwynnie is so hood.

VStarFox

'Reserved for African Americans'... yes, that's right, because only African Americans are Black. All the other millions of Black people in the world are just dark imitations.

getreal22

If they are offended by the word, STOP calling each other the 'n' word and absolutely don't use it in the title of a song. Gwyneth was just repeating the name of the song in celebration of the success of her close friends, Jay-Z, Beyonce, etc.. Wake up! I'm sick of seeing music videos of young black men using the 'n' word repeatedly with no lack of many other profane words. Why is it acceptable to degrade women (and women degrading themselves) by parading around in next-to-nothing 'clothing' while grinding on men waving money at them. There is never a lack of gold and diamonds being flaunted at the camera as they rap about how expensive the 'Bentley' is they are sitting in. Think, for once, what you are doing to the minds of impressionable young men and women! Shame on you!

shell

I'm really surprised to even see that you would ask the poll question in that fashion. I am a black woman. There is nothing wrong with saying just that. But to assume that any and only black people are allowed to use the word is just ignorant. That word is not used to describe a black person BUT an IGNORANT person. Therefore, switch up the way that poll reads. It's a bit offensive. Thanks.. and common sense goes a loooooooong way.. But I still love TMZ!

Kelli A.

Have you seen the Paltrow app? youtu.be/uCz6809UEuY

jezzebel

How about this? If black people are so offended by her saying it, then don't put it in the song. I bet more than 75% of the people at the concerts and the people buying the cd's are white. So if they don't want us to sing/rap along, then I guess we should just stop listening period!!

james tmz follower

yeah, it is boring and stupid. however, i will go to say i kind of like GP after seeing her in the ironman / avengers movies. i never really liked her i always thought there are other hot women black, white ,hispainc, asian out there.