Gwyneth Paltrow

Triggers Racial Controversy

after Using N-Word

6/4/2012 10:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0604_gwenith_paltrow_on_stage_twitterGwyneth Paltrow ignited a firestorm of criticism after blasting the N-word to her one million Twitter followers this weekend ... while describing a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert in Paris.

Paltrow was rockin out Friday at the "Watch the Throne Tour" ... when she decided to send a twitter pic of herself on stage (above) with the rappers and the caption "Ni**as in paris for real." If you've been under a rock -- or if you're Kris Jenner --  that's the title of a Jay and Kanye song.

The tweet triggered a tidal wave of negative internet buzz ... with fans questioning whether Gwyneth was using the term in a derogatory way. GP later responded unapologetically, "Hold up. It's the title of the song!"

That said, Jay and Kanye did go on to perform their hit song "Ni**as in Paris" a whopping 11 times that night.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

T

umm yeah .. N__GA and N__GER are two completely different words in my opinion -- if its used by a black man in the name of his song = fare game !! People need to stop giving words so much power over them ! its ridiculous if you actually sit back and think about it …… do we need to start teaching grown ups the old saying " sticks and stones may break my bones but a word will never hurt me !!"

Yesenia

I was at the bus stop with my friends singing this song and there was an african- american couple and when we didnt say the n-word they laughed and told us it was okay to say in the song.

jac smith

Jay and Kanye are two morons. Why have that as the title of a song. Wonder how he is going to feel when someone calls his daughter the n worrd

Mary

Yeah, Gwynnie is so hood.

VStarFox

'Reserved for African Americans'... yes, that's right, because only African Americans are Black. All the other millions of Black people in the world are just dark imitations.

getreal22

If they are offended by the word, STOP calling each other the 'n' word and absolutely don't use it in the title of a song. Gwyneth was just repeating the name of the song in celebration of the success of her close friends, Jay-Z, Beyonce, etc.. Wake up! I'm sick of seeing music videos of young black men using the 'n' word repeatedly with no lack of many other profane words. Why is it acceptable to degrade women (and women degrading themselves) by parading around in next-to-nothing 'clothing' while grinding on men waving money at them. There is never a lack of gold and diamonds being flaunted at the camera as they rap about how expensive the 'Bentley' is they are sitting in. Think, for once, what you are doing to the minds of impressionable young men and women! Shame on you!

shell

I'm really surprised to even see that you would ask the poll question in that fashion. I am a black woman. There is nothing wrong with saying just that. But to assume that any and only black people are allowed to use the word is just ignorant. That word is not used to describe a black person BUT an IGNORANT person. Therefore, switch up the way that poll reads. It's a bit offensive. Thanks.. and common sense goes a loooooooong way.. But I still love TMZ!

Kelli A.

Have you seen the Paltrow app? youtu.be/uCz6809UEuY

jezzebel

How about this? If black people are so offended by her saying it, then don't put it in the song. I bet more than 75% of the people at the concerts and the people buying the cd's are white. So if they don't want us to sing/rap along, then I guess we should just stop listening period!!

james tmz follower

yeah, it is boring and stupid. however, i will go to say i kind of like GP after seeing her in the ironman / avengers movies. i never really liked her i always thought there are other hot women black, white ,hispainc, asian out there.

Anonymous

gosh... this is boring considering it's a song... Why would anyone be mad about it if it's the TITLE OF A SONG?! Ugh. People don't think, and they judge before getting their facts straight.

ARNYL

THE WORD ****** WAS USED TO DEGRADE OUR CULTURE, BY IGNORANT PEOPLE IN THE FIRST PLACE. ***** IS LIKE A CULTURAL WORD BETWEEN BLACK PEOPLE. THE REASON I SAY BLACK IS BECAUSE I AM AN AMERICAN, THOUGH MY ANCESTORS MAY BE FROM AFRICA, I DON'T LIKE THE WORD AFRICAN AMERICAN. I'VE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA BUT THE ONE'S I HAVE MET HERE IN AMERICA ESPECIALLY THE MEN THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN BLACK AMERICANS. THE WORD IS JESUS GOD MADE US ALL IN HIS OWN IMAGE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH COLOR AND HE DON'T MAKE MISTAKES. GOD BLESS US ALL BECAUSE WE DESPERATELY NEED IT.

whatsup

All I see here is white people complaining that they can't use the word they invented. Like Paul Mooney say "you have the protection of the complextion...what more do you want..the girl is a natural moron.She not worth the press

whatsup

"Get the chip chocolate chip off your shouldas" did you think of that racist comment all by yourself?..Priceless at least you are educated. And All of a sudden she has black in her roots..please...Tell the truth..you want to say the word and the blacks are not having it..

Lorraine

SO tell me Ms. Paltrow - did you criticize Ms. Deen for saying the very same word? I bet you did. You piece of (ha ha its the songs name) work. Double standard hypocrite one percenter - Gwyneth Paltrow.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12