Hollywood 'Midget' Theater

Threatens MASSIVE Protest

Over 'Snow White'

6/6/2012 12:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0605_beechers_madhouse_logo_and_midgets_beachersmadhouse
Little people across Hollywood are rising up against the producers of "Snow White and the Huntsman" -- for casting tall people in the role of Snow White's dwarfs -- and now, a prominent "midget" theater group plans to stage an over-sized protest.

The wee man leading the charge is a guy named Matt McCarthy -- a 4'1" self-described "midget" who works for Beacher's Madhouse at the Roosevelt Hotel, a theater troupe that features more than 20 little people.

Like Little People of America, McCarthy's pissed "midgets" weren't cast as Snow White's dwarfs in the new movie -- producers cast normal-sized actors instead, digitally resizing their limbs or transplanting their faces onto little people's bodies.

0604_snow_white_and_the_huntsman_dwarves
But McCarthy's not fuming in silence -- he just fired off a letter to Universal Chairman Adam Fogelson, informing him, "In response to and in protest of this incredible injustice and prejudice, the Beacher's Madhouse midgets and I are coordinating a 100-midget march to Universal's offices."

McCarthy adds, casting average-sized actors as Snow White's dwarfs "is the equivalent of Universal casting a white actor to play a role written for an African-American person and digitally changing the color of their skin."

So far, a date for the march hasn't been set.

0605_little_people_footer

Jordan

That protest should go over well. They will have a better chance if they call Obama

von oben

Being "height impaired" doesn't automatically make you a better actor. Maybe that was the reasoning? You can write and shout all you wish, and that will not make you a better actor anyway... Just a thought

Erica

I love those Madhouse midgets. They are so talented. I'm a tall girl but I will for sure be at the protest!

Jo Jo

That's messed up.. Little People have a hard enough time getting work, I cannot believe they did this.. The Madhouse Little People have amazing talent..

Missy

Man, I guess I should protest the makers of The Parent Trap since they didn't use real twins.

AMANDA

Maybe they wanted the better Actors. Thats not Illegal.

Saj

I agree with Matt! CGI little people is not authentic! Look at past classic movies that used real little people like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Time Bandits, Austin Powers, and Willow. The little people at Beachers Madhouse know whats up....I stand behind you guys!

Erica

I love midgets. That was wrong Universal!

bluemoon

How small minded of Universal!

cass

Where exactly is the law stating that little people "have to be cast" in a Snow White movie?

Oh yea, that' right.... there is none.

Why don't you little people just go on about your business and represent "The Lollipop Guild" and STFU!

K, Thx.

B-Diddy

I would be interested to know how many Little People Universal auditioned for the "dwarf" roles before opting for special effects. I bet they didn't interview a single Little Person. Disgraceful, Universal !! I'm with you, Matt !!! Just tell me when and where !!!

mary

the protest is silly. people making movie have every right to cast who ever they want. its the movie makers money, and they have no obligation to any group.

Jojo

This is an outrage! A portion of the movies proceeds should be given to Beachers Madhouse!

Darcy

Beacher's midgets are all very talented performers- best of luck!

Erica

Maybe they should of asked some midgets to audition. Not one!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments