'Game of Thrones' Producers

Sorry for Putting Dubya's

Head on a Spike

6/14/2012 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0614_game_of_thrones
HBO and the honchos behind "Game of Thrones" have issued an official apology for putting George W. Bush's head on a spike in an episode during Season 1.

You may have heard ... producers recently revealed they used a Dubya mask as the base for a prop of a decapitated head ... which actually appeared on the show.

Show creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss insisted the move was NOT a political statement ... but an honest mistake.

The two released a joint statement saying, "We use a lot of prosthetic body parts on the show: heads, arms, etc. We can't afford to have these all made from scratch, especially in scenes where we need a lot of them, so we rent them in bulk. After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush."

They continued, "We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."

HBO also released a statement saying, "We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste."

"We made this clear to the executive producers of the series who apologized immediately for this inadvertent careless mistake. We are sorry this happened and will have it removed from any future DVD production."

sugarberrymlp

Good!! I like game of thrones more now!

George W Bush is technically a war criminal... so really i dont think they are out of line :P

sugarberrymlp

good.. i like game of thrones more now!!

sugarberrymlp

I know that many americans are loyal to their presidents... however the rest of the world has judged him for his crimes.

officially convicted as a war criminal

read:

Regina

All you Repubs are so frigging upset because that faux Prez head's on a stick. I only wish that it was real. Stupid, drunk, illiterate, moron. Now I wish that it was old Dick Chaney's head up there too. Mr anti constitution, can't find his house on Google earth,.

william alexander

This kind of bs is exactly why we have turned off so many programs and eliminated some entertainers from our viewing choices. The liberal haters that can't articulate their opposing view without hateful words and images. Remember that only 20% of the population identifies with the far left and 20% for the far right, but those of us in the middle are getting pretty fed up with this childish behavior. Hollywood grow up

mimi

So wrong. Love him or hate him, he was our president. I didn't vote for Obama but I'd feel the same way if it was his head used. All of our presidents deserve to be treated with respect. this is sick.

suki

Wake up people. This is a man who killed thousands of his own people. 9/11 was an inside job. That's were his head belongs. Rott in hell dubya.

GLaDOS

Who cares. Bush Jr. is a war criminal. Put his head on a stick all you want.

annie2

Of course they meant for it to be in there. The thing is I don't find it at all shocking...I'm actually shocked there was a faux apology made at all. That's a little impressive. Why is this shocking is the question...doesn't anyone remember they made a movie depicting the assassination of GW? It was defended at the time, still is.

sidithers

HBO SUCKS
There is never anything worth watching on that tired old wretched network

Barb

Bush's REAL head is the mistake.

The PR Verdict

The PR Verdict: C (Distinctly OK) for HBO. The “We had to use whatever heads were lying around” defense is so weak it’s probably true. Their later full apology should put things, right, but really? No other heads around?

A1Commenter

I don't think it was a mistake. I am a proud Democrat and this is just plain poor taste and disrespectful. I think that they knew exactly what they were doing and probably had the apology written well before it aired. HBO is responsible for not spotting it (and I don't know that I would have noticed it had I watced the show), but the producers are responsible for incredibly poor taste.

sugarberrymlp

@Elm

not my rating. George bush has been convicted by the war crimes tribunal and if he leaves the USA he will be arrested. Just a fact.

d1177797

If I did that, I'd be writing from my luxury cell in GITMO.