Meredith Vieira REJECTS NBC Offer

to Replace Ann Curry

6/21/2012 10:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621_ann_curry_vieira_savannah
NBC secretly offered Meredith Vieira a big contract to replace Ann Curry on the "Today" show ... but she turned them down.

Sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... the offer was made approximately two weeks ago but Meredith wasn't interested in returning to the show she anchored for 6 years.

TMZ broke the story back in April ... Ann Curry was on her way out, partly because NBC was unhappy with her performance, partly because the ratings started to suck, and partly because Matt Lauer didn't like working with her.

As we reported, when Matt re-signed with "Today," he made it clear he wanted a new co-anchor, but NBC delayed making an immediate change because the network didn't want to make it look like a big foot on Matt's part.

From what we're hearing, Ann could be 86'd within a matter of weeks.

As for who will replace Ann, network sources say the frontrunner is Savannah Guthrie, who co-hosts the third hour of "Today."

KnuckleDragger

NBC needs to stop 'promoting from within'. They all turn out to be clones of each other and put on the dog for the camera. Just the other day they had some rap group in the plaza and showed Savannah Guthrie just a rockin' to the rap. I'll bet when they went to commercial she ran inside and douched her ears out.

As to Ann Curry? She's always been fill-in, she just doesn't want to accept it.

gayle

its about time youre getting rid of ann curry. samantha guthrie is not the right choice either, look at how much fun they are having at good morning america.switched to them when you made ann curry co-host

BigLife

Ann Curry is rude and interrupts people too much. I quit watching that show because of that reason only. She does NOT come across as sincere, at all!

anony

They'll get rid of her as soon as the Olympics are over.

Amber

What's up witht his?? I like Ann, dang it!

Moni

I've watched the today show since I was a kid...I now have switched to GMA one I don't like Matt Lauer anymore he's rude and full of himself and secondly the way they treated Ann...that's messed up. I hope GMA kicks their butt!

g.eichberg

get rid of Matt Lauer. We have seen enough of him.

RaineeDrops

Get rid of the Germophobe Matt Lauer!!

Since when does he get to determine who his co-host is?

Ann is better then Savannah. Ann has been with the Today Show for a long time, what sucks is NBC and Matt Lauer doing this to Ann.

How hurtful! Matt is so stuck on himself and arrogant, I don't like him on the Today Show.

Katmc.

I love Ann Curry she seems very sweat and intelligent. Maybe Matt needs to learn how to get along.

RaineeDrops

I hope Ann Curry sneezes on Matt Lauer and leaves snotted up Kleenex all over his dressing room. Let the OCD Germophobe squirm some for the way he is treating Ann.

Just saying

Jenna Wolfe, Jenna Wolfe, Jenna Wolfe. I pray that they do indeed get rid of Ann (too over dramatic) and bring in Jenna. She is a hoot!

Chug McGlug

And you're still watching this crap because ....?

LMC

Don't care for Ann Curry or Savannah.

Kathy Natale

I will be very sorry to see Ann leave. I think she is a great asset to the show and shows great compassion when she interviews a touchy subject. She has been with the show for so many years. It will not be the same without her. None of the other girls on the show can do as good a job as Ann does.

Larry

My vote is for the lovely and smart Natalie Morales. Savannah would be my second choice.

But Ann should never have been promoted to top chick in the first place. She speaks so fast, like she is on speed.