Ann Curry

NBC's $10 MILLION MISTAKE

6/22/2012 12:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Ann Curry $$$.
Ann Curry will get her walking papers from the "Today" show next week, and NBC will pay dearly for its blunder -- because network sources tell us she's under a contract that guarantees her $10 million a year.

Our sources tell us Ann signed a new contract almost a year ago to the day, when she took over as co-anchor of "Today." Under the deal, Ann gets a cool $10 mil, and it's a long-term contract.  We're told she's guaranteed that amount for 3 years.

Network sources tell us ... the likely scenario is that Ann will become a foreign correspondent for NBC News.

Short story ... she'll be the first foreign correspondent who will rake in an amount equal to the gross national product of some of the countries she will cover.

kari

A year too late. I already went to GMA!

RaineeDrops

If you want to improve the Today Show.... Fire Matt Lauer, Kathie Lee Gifford and Savannah or ditch the tabloidy talk show gossip drinking segment with Kathie Lee, she is so judgmental with her holier then thou attitude and self righteous reactions putting others down. So give her her walking papers, and Mat too!

RaineeDrops

Love you Ann!

Digger

I just started watching the today show about four months ago and Ann is the most thoughtful and caring
interviewer I have ever seen. I honestly don't know what kind of banter they want between her and Matt, It's not a Regis and Kelly type show! Meredith Vierra was so boring the few times I saw her--such a dry sense of humor and a truly ungenuine smile. Did Matt complain during his contract negotiations. ANN, GOOD LUCK, you'll find something bigger and better and no, it's NOT you, you are truly a genuinely good person I believe.

Lori

I like her. How in the world did they decide to keep Matt and get rid of Ann? BIG mistake.

Kari

I THINK MATT IS THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE LEAVING!

HOTNTX

F**k NBC! She should take them for all that she is owed over the length of her contract and then sue for punitive damages. They should fire the producers of the show with the lame TMZ type news coverage that they've been putting out. None of us give a damn what Kate, Pipa or anyone else is the Royal Family is wearing, doing or going. All the Lindsay Lohan coverage during the first hour is migraine inducing. Fire the big guns at the top. They are the sole reason for this show's demise.

CriticXtreme

Ann Curry is great and definitely adds the missing diversity with the unwatchable crap on NBC. I hate that foreign correspondent mess. NBC will probably place here in Afghanistan where like NBC, true talent in a beautiful woman is not respected nor taken seriously.

Jenn

It's a shame that she has to go, But I don't think she is the one making the ratings drop. Matt Lauer, in my opinion is the one to blame and should be served walking papers not her. I in fact find Matt to be very boring and mediocre. I wish Ann the best!

Robert

Matt is the problem with Today's ratings. Ann is wonderful. NBC is stupid.

dd

So long, I like when she does her reporting from the field though.

David_usa

Did you guys see the Show today? Especially the two women, they act so phony trying to be funny, Ann just be who you are with class, that's why we love you.

Julie2

I agree. On many points here. Dumping the wrong anchor, for certain. And it's the material and liberal bias of the network that suck, not her. She and Al Roker are the only reasons I still watch that show, and if she is axed, I'm gone. Matt Lauer is haughty and rude, and I mean one small step from being Bryant Gumble uppity! I am sick of NBC shoving their opinions, and their mouthy anchors' opinions, down my throat. I want to see unbiased news, and I'll form my own opinions. I don't need theirs!

Aside from network bias, the other real issue is that these overpaid anchors stay in their positions too long, get the big head and think we care what they think. Like politicians, there should be a cap on how long they can serve. Matt Lauer needs to go, as Katy Couric did at the right time, just when we've had enough, before we hate him too much. I like Ann's style, not imposing her beliefs and not pandering by chasing political correctness or sensationalism, just old fashioned strong journalism. Good job, girl.

Cheryl

I am sick over you letting Ann Curry go. She is a great reporter and a very beautiful person, very kind hearted. I don't think I can watch the Today show anymore.

soccerplaya1

They should ask Matt Lauer to pay the $10 million each year to her! Come on NBC it's not the women bringing the ratings down it's the boring show and Matt and Al. They are too arrogant. They should have gotten rid of Matt and tried something new a little sooner.