Nora Ephron

Hollywood Legend

Dead at 71

6/26/2012 5:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0626_Nora-Ephron_getty
Nora Ephron -- the legendary Hollywood writer who penned the screenplays for "Sleepless in Seattle" and "When Harry Met Sally" -- died Tuesday after a battle with leukemia.

According to Ephron's son Jacob Bernstein, the 71-year-old had been suffering from acute myeloid leukemia ... and took a turn for the worse in recent days after coming down with pneumonia.

Ephron scored 3 Academy Award nominations in her illustrious Hollywood career ... and was widely considered one of the most powerful women in the entertainment industry.

Among her most memorable films ... "Silkwood" ... "My Blue Heaven" ... "Michael" ... "You've Got Mail" ... and "Julie and Julia."

Ephron was married to (and famously divorced) Watergate scandal reporter Carl Bernstein ... before entering her 3rd (and final) marriage to screenwriter Nicholas Pileggi.

0626_nora_ephron_remembering_footer

Rodney

I guess you queens aren't aware she directed a lot of those "scripts"? You know little films like You've got mail and Sleepless in Seattle... NO big deal. TMZ is the worst..

cancelledaccount

Rest in Peace. Funny writer. Great scripts.

tracker

Nora,quite the woman,you will be greatly missed..R.I.P AND MANY THANKS..

♥TMZ but ...

I didn't really care about her until I saw her on a talk show and she was really really funny and entertaining RIP Ms. Ephron

Meezer

She directed one of my favorite movies , Michael with John Travolta -- hope she gets a crazy angel persona of her own ... ~^.,^~

Straight Talkin Texan

I hope she rests in peace. Her talent will be missed. My condolences to her family and loved ones.

AshCoh

R.I.P. Nora! May you find peace and comfort in your passing and be rid of the pain of cancer.

Would love to see a better photo of Nora Ephron than the one you have as the main photo. She has a gorgeous smile. Please put one up of her smiling. I know there are several small ones but I feel that photo you used is not a great one for reporting the death of a Hollywood legend. If she had just gotten divorced then the photo would be appropriate. Thank you for your consideration TMZ.

bikermom

RIP Nora Ephron, we will miss you...

Tomas Pavelka

please visit Nora's online memorial and add your memories there! Let's make this memorial BIG!
please share

sean

Back in the 90s, I literally wore out my VHS tape of "When Harry Met Sally" because I watched it so many times. Nora was undoubtedly one of the best screenwriters ever, and there will never again be a romantic comedy as original and funny as "When Harry Met Sally." RIP, Nora. I just hope that in Heaven you can get the dressing on the side.

paul a.

RIP Nora

One of the best writers of our time.......

paul a.

"I'll have what she's having...."

eliana panagakos

RIP NORA EPHRON

gutsygirl

"I Feel Bad About My Neck".....if you're a woman and have not read it, make it a tribute to her to do so. Blessings.

ThePhoenix