Celine Dion

Sued for Screwing

Employees Out of Overtime

6/28/2012 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0627_celine_dion_reneCeline Dion and her husband are a couple o' tight wads when it comes to compensating employees at their massive Florida compound ... according to a new federal lawsuit filed by their ex-handyman.

TMZ obtained a copy of the suit filed by Keith Sturtevant Wednesday -- and in it he claims he was hired in March 2009 as a "warehouse manager" ... but says he also regularly worked at Celine and Rene Angelil's giant home in Hobe Sound, Florida.

According to the suit, Sturtevant fixed ice makers, cleaned house shutters, built stages, and ran miscellaneous errands for Celine and Rene -- and although he had a "manager" title ... Sturtevant claims he "did not have the power to hire or fire employees."

The suit alleges Celine and Rene "improperly and illegally designated [Sturtevant] as an exempt employee" -- allowing them to avoid paying the overtime ... which Sturtevant claims he's owed since he regularly worked more than 40 hours per week.

Sturtevant's suit claims Celine and Rene improperly slapped the "exempt employee" label on several other employees too. He's suing for all his back overtime wages.

We've reached out to Celine's reps for comment, but so far ... no reply.

0628_celine_dion_footer

SusanCoyote

This is what happens when you marry your grandpa!!! Bad karma!

Flying Blind

Celine Dion is a freak of nature, thank goodness her and that other one, Adele are in other countries. I know to their fans they are gods and that's fine, just don't play their crap on my progressive rock stations. And yes i like classic rock, but also grunge, metal, mid years rock and even some of the new so called rock.

LYNDA

Hahahahaha!!! I hope they have to pay all the overtime this guy is due!! Florida is a Right to Work State, whatever the heck that means, I live here in Fl, I've worked for the same boss for 23 years, I work 60 hours a week, get Sunday off. I caught my boss asking how he can get out of paying me overtime, someone told him to classify me as Salary Worker. Well of course the hours are the same every week, 8am to 6pm mon thru fri and 8-5pm on saturday. I take home 401.50 a week. I know I'm getting screwed but I was and am a single mom of 1 and it was at least a guarenteed paycheck, Now, at 51, I cringe every Friday when I'm printing out the Paychecks, since i'm also a "Off. Mgr" I get pissed because he even took our Health Coverage away, I would love for someone to help us employees out with these a-holes that screw the employees in Fl.!!!!!

Throwback kid

Celine is very greedy, do you see how she lives?. like most celebs she wants much more than she needs. She would be just as happy in a normal sized house but instead she needs a waterpark on her property, it is all about her ego.

Truth

BITCH IS SAVING ALL THAT OVERTIME FOR THAT MUCH NEEDED PLASTIC BOXTOX SURGERY FOR HER FUGLY HORSEFACE. 2 CHEAP ASS BITCHES IS RIGHT! #TRUTH!!

Gord in Canada

As a fellow Canadian I feel I must chime in. Celine is from Quebec, although the US feels that she is Canadian she isn't. Quebec wants to leave Canada to be independant, Quebecer's are notoriously cheap and rude. I hope that the employee's screw them over good and get what they so rightly deserve. As for that couple, you can keep them.

Majestik

I don't like the woman period. If she had stuck to singing and a few interviews here and there, that would be fine. She gets married, she goes on the talk show circuit as if she's the only married woman in the world. She has IVF gets pregnant and goes on the talk show circuit, again, as if she's the only pregnant woman on the planet. She has a miscarriage, she goes on the talk show circuit as if she's the only woman in the world to have a miscarriage, she gets pregnant via IVF with Twins, again, it's the same thing over and over. I DON"T NEED to hear every little detail about her personal life. I'll give her this though, she seems to have a good sense of humour.

Level34

I really hate that BITCH!!!

charley

She always comes across as a materialistic bitch...maybe being married to her grandfather instilled this greediness in her..oh thats not her grandfather? oh yeah...he was eyeing her when she was 14...the old azz pedophile!

Jody

Nearly every rich jerk that I know tries to screw the poor out of money that is owed to them.

I wonder if Celine's husband is still a gambling addict.

charley

This is the bitch that uses millions of gallons of water at her Las Vegas home...water which is in the state of California...we get water restrictions while this canadian whore gets no water limits...and uses our states water...so yes shes a greedy selfish bitch! because shes nice in public doesnt mean shes not a bitch to her staff!

Susan62509

Exempt employees are just that....exempt from overtime. This lawsuit will be thrown out. He should have realized this the very first time he received a check for more than 40 hours. He needs to read the federal labor laws.

John

This is a lot of crap! If indeed he wasn't paid, then why the hell did he keep working overtime??? Come on, this is ridiculous. It was reported the guy aknowledged he got a $13,000 increase!!! Who the hell get that kind of increase on a $50,000 salary???? That guy is so dead. Celine is one of the most generous person out there. Always doing charity work and doing fundraisers for sick children. I'm glad they fired that a-hole!!!

LCS27

Don't blame her because she's ugly. It's not her fault she's canadian .

Barb

He accepted the position as an exempt employee. He can't, then, sue for hourly wages.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments