« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bad Ass Congressman

Attacks AZ Law

... Using Justin Bieber

6/28/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0628_cspan
This. Is. AWESOME.

Justin Bieber, Jeremy Lin and Geraldo Rivera were thrust right into the center of the controversy surrounding Arizona's "Show Me Your Papers" law ... courtesy of one pissed off congressman.

Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL) took the floor of the House of Representatives yesterday and played a game called, "Pick Out the Immigrant" ... in an effort to prove it's impossible for law enforcement to determine someone's citizenship based on their appearance.

Gutierrez -- clearly fired up about the recent Supreme Court ruling backing parts of the SMYP law -- explained, "In Arizona today, all that stands between you and a legal nightmare is whether a police officer feels there is a reasonable suspicion to inquire about your country of origin. Yet, Arizona politicians will tell you with a straight face no less, that they can apply this law without using racial profiling."

To prove them wrong, Gutierrez showed several pictures featuring two famous people and challenged congress to "Pick Out the Immigrant."

Gutierrez concluded, "The point is simple ... the idea that any government official can determine who belongs in America and who doesn't simply by looking at them is completely ridiculous, unfair and un-American ... and yet this absurdity is the law of Arizona."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

yuckmouth

If your proud to be an American, than you should have no problem showing your ID. Extreme situations require extreme remedies as in this case. Illegals go home or sign up and pay your taxes just like everyone else.

Phil Mcl

I don't understand. I am born here in America and I would be for having to have an official government card like a drivers license. Where if a policeman ask me to show it to him it would be no problem because I am legally here. The only people that would not want this is illegals. If I get pulled over I have to show policeman my license there is no problem with that so why is there a problem with having a card that proves you are American.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Why don't they just make everybody wear badges on their shirts to identify them...oh, wai...

Some you guys that would "happily" hand over your papers...

haskel420

ILLEGALS GET OUT.. EVEN MARCO RUBIO PARENTS AND HIMSELF ARE ILLEGAL.. ( yeah yeah he was born here BUT TO ILLEGAL PARENTS)

Tammy

I'm sick of both Justin and Selena and want them both deported!!! The cops can stop me and ask me to prove I'm Amercian and I won't have a problem doing it. The only people who have a problem with this law are criminals: the illegals and those who harbor them.

Scotty G

Whats UNAMERICAN is me, the US Citizen, who went to war for a country, defended it, and have to turn around and give up a third of my income to pay for a substandard life. My kids schools, medical care, and jobs are sacrificed for people who have no desire to permanently live here but want my tax dollars in some form, whether its fraudulent filing of taxes, sucking up welfare, etc... If you cant show an ID when asked, then you arent following the laws. Laws are what this country is made of. If you dont want to follow rules then GET OUT!!!!

alfonzo smithstein

Where is the video? Stupid tmz ****

haskel420

I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP USING THE TERM 'AMERICAN' WHEN REFERRING TO UNITED STATE CITIZENS.. lol..

lucy

If any of us get pulled over, don't WE all have to show our papers, license,registration,proof of insurance? In any other country, you have to show your papers,your right to be there,oh wait,they don't have a legal right to be here,do they?As for the pilgrims,they didn't come here and get everything handed to them by the government.Any way you try to spin it,illegal is just that...illegal.Badass? No,just j**kass!!!

steph

why is it racist?? i say that there is nothing wrong w/ having to show ID or papers...we can't go in other countries and get jobs or housing or any help w/ money from their governments..so that is why they jump boarders and come here...and racal profiling..uhmm if they are a darker color and speak broken english then theres a sign that they may be from a different country!

haskel420

as for that idiot MITT ROMNEY saying SELF DEPORTATION.. WELL YA FnCKNUT THATS BEEN IN PLACE FOREVER. AND USA HAS BEEN IGNORING IT ,,TURNING THE OTHER BUTTCHEEK TO THE ILLEGALS.. theres always been this simple rule YOU WANNA LIVE HERE AND WORK HERE THEN BECOME A FnCKIN US CITIZEN..!! IF YA DONT WANNA DO THAT THEN G.T.F.O. !!

Sunset

Personally, I think they got it right. The states need to be put in their place and understand that this is a Federal issue covered by preemption. If we allow that, states will start thinking they can interfere in war powers, treaty creation, etc.
The federal rights vs. states rights is just a continuation of the argument that led to America's Civil War. The U.S. has always been a federal government and the states have always been subordinate to that. The only people who are unclear on this is the same folks who keep yammering away about their right to bear arms. If each state is an entity unto itself, why even bother having any government at all?

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

You all would be happy to do it because already know they aren't going to ask you. You'd be spitting fire after the third time in a week you were stopped and forced to show your papers.

popo

every immigrant race should go back to their respective land...ASAP cause we forgot to send them back 100 years ago...what a shame

az_barbie66

I live in Arizona and I say if you are worried about showing proof of citizenship, then go someplace else.