« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bad Ass Congressman

Attacks AZ Law

... Using Justin Bieber

6/28/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0628_cspan
This. Is. AWESOME.

Justin Bieber, Jeremy Lin and Geraldo Rivera were thrust right into the center of the controversy surrounding Arizona's "Show Me Your Papers" law ... courtesy of one pissed off congressman.

Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL) took the floor of the House of Representatives yesterday and played a game called, "Pick Out the Immigrant" ... in an effort to prove it's impossible for law enforcement to determine someone's citizenship based on their appearance.

Gutierrez -- clearly fired up about the recent Supreme Court ruling backing parts of the SMYP law -- explained, "In Arizona today, all that stands between you and a legal nightmare is whether a police officer feels there is a reasonable suspicion to inquire about your country of origin. Yet, Arizona politicians will tell you with a straight face no less, that they can apply this law without using racial profiling."

To prove them wrong, Gutierrez showed several pictures featuring two famous people and challenged congress to "Pick Out the Immigrant."

Gutierrez concluded, "The point is simple ... the idea that any government official can determine who belongs in America and who doesn't simply by looking at them is completely ridiculous, unfair and un-American ... and yet this absurdity is the law of Arizona."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

haskel420

WOW TMZ IS DELTING PEOPLES COMMENTS ........................NOW THATS SAD

haskel420

TMZ REMOVED MY COMMENT ABOUT MARCO RUBIO AND HIS ILLEGAL PARENTS AND THAT HES AN ANCHOR BABY .. look at the facts here

A. rubio was born in the USA in 1971
B. his parents became US citizens in 1975 20 years after living here ILLEGALLY
C. tmz removes comments they dont agree with but are FACTS

Susan62509

This dumb ass, Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL), is truly an embarrassment as a representative in government. He does not understand what the law actually states, but rather creating an unnecessary conflict between races. The Supreme Court Justices clearly explained that a cop has to find something unlawful FIRST that an individual is doing before the cop can ask for I.D. or papers.

Susan62509

Justin has his papers so Gutierrez's point is mute.

Truth

Phonetically, people from ontario, canada - specifically southern ontario - speak what's called southern ontario dialect. That's Bieber country. The untalented kid is form London, Ontario where Ryan Gossling is also from. However, this dialect is most similar stateside to california english. Much of that is due to the integration of migrants from northwest US and Canada during the california gold rush. After a century and a half later there are very minor differences between the two dialects if at all. So an actress like Rachel McAdams from Toronto has noi accent to speak of compared to the bimbos in cali. #TRUTH!!

Truth

Phonetically, people from Ontario, Canada - specifically southern ontario - speak what's called the "southern ontario dialect". That's Bieber country. The untalented kid is form London, Ontario where Ryan Gossling is also from. However, this dialect is most similar stateside to what's called "california english". Much of that is due to the integration of migrants from northwest US and Canada during the california gold rush. After a century and a half later there are very minor differences between the two dialects if at all. So an actress like Rachel McAdams from Toronto has no distinguishable accent to speak of when compared to bimbos in cali. #TRUTH!!

HotTomato

The point he made is accurate....you can NOT tell by looking. That is why ID is required. As an employer Homeland Security REQUIRES I check ID on EVERY new hire to see if they are legal so that I do NOT knowingly hire an illegal or risk severe fines. Now illegals are told they can "look" for work but I have NOT been told I can hire them. It's crazy to make them think they can "look" but they can't get hired. I have a home in Mexico and I MUST have a passport & an FM3 card and I show them frequently (whenever asked) I do NOT get free medical or free food or subsidized in any way. I respect their laws and cannot understand why it is so hard for people to understand that if you want to live in "our" country you must respect/obey our laws! We must all show ID to get through the airport so why is it so hard to understand that you must show proof of who you are and where you came from if you come in from our land borders???

sarah

listen up everyone. i live in az, and for all u haters out there who think we are all racist, kiss my ass. let me tell u something lol it is INCREDIBLY easy to pick out the suspicious looking people in this state. its not racial profiling. its called having eyes. when u see 2 mexicans driving a sketch ass looking truck with mexico plates, chances are they are not legal. just sayin. please any of u go onto our websites for our jails and read the names of those who have recently committed crimes. about 98% of them are mexicans. i have plenty of mexican friends who are FINE with the law because oh, thats right, they are american citizens with nothing to hide. if u are here illegally, then guess what? it is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know why that is so hard for everyone to understand! jesus christ people think about it! if we were driving in mexico and were pulled over and didnt have our papers on us, then we would be put in jail. that is the God's honest truth. so why is everyone so pissed when we try to do the same thing? my grandparents came here from Spain and became American citizens. got jobs, LEARNED ENGLISH, and called themselves AMERICANS. not Spanish Americans or any other fancy little mix. if u want to be in america, do it the right legal way. that is ALL we in AZ are asking for.

Allahuakbar

The problem with this charade is that the law enforcement officer has to have you LAWFULLY detained, as in traffic stop or burglary investigation or the like. NOBODY can stop you and ask you for papers. It is a lie!

haskel420

ILLEGALS GET OUT ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehhehhe

kartrashians are illegal from armenia send them back to the soviets

Transitioning

I had NO idea just how bad the immigration issue was until I moved to Texas! WOW... it's so bad here. And to my surprise the benefits that the illegal immigrants are qualified for is unreal!

I know someone who writes the policies for medicade and they get far more than my paying job would ever give me, even when benefits were good. Example: they can get braces, weight loss surgery, gym memberships, weight watchers, college, prenatal, wellness care and the list goes on and on! All you have to do is cross the border and there you have it. It's all FREE!

When i was out of work I didn't qualify for ONE THING! I am in total agreement that all illegals should be sent back to their countries and come back When they have followed the proper procedures! And take the children with you! I am usually fair but... this is WAY out of control!

Jesus Rodriguez

A better game to play: Provide two images of immigrants, then you pick which one is in the US illegally. A good strategy for success here is to pick the Latino/Hispanic/Mexican

Justathought

I've even had people argue with me about the issue of couples coming across knowing that when they have children here they will be taken care of...they say its not true, but I've seen too many pregnant mothers pushing a stroller (baby inside)with one or two small children walking along side....How does a family with only the father working at minimum wage support four kids???? I had a coworker who's wife worked in the lunch room at his local school and would see mothers bring all her kids to eat breakfast when only the child who went to the school was enrolled for free lunch! They had to finally close the doors and check each child as they came in to make sure they were enrolled....I believe if you need assistance with one or two children...stop having more, don't keep because you know they will be taken care of by the system!

en Todo Momento!!

Go Back to Spain, stupid bonerrr!!!