« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bad Ass Congressman

Attacks AZ Law

... Using Justin Bieber

6/28/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0628_cspan
This. Is. AWESOME.

Justin Bieber, Jeremy Lin and Geraldo Rivera were thrust right into the center of the controversy surrounding Arizona's "Show Me Your Papers" law ... courtesy of one pissed off congressman.

Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL) took the floor of the House of Representatives yesterday and played a game called, "Pick Out the Immigrant" ... in an effort to prove it's impossible for law enforcement to determine someone's citizenship based on their appearance.

Gutierrez -- clearly fired up about the recent Supreme Court ruling backing parts of the SMYP law -- explained, "In Arizona today, all that stands between you and a legal nightmare is whether a police officer feels there is a reasonable suspicion to inquire about your country of origin. Yet, Arizona politicians will tell you with a straight face no less, that they can apply this law without using racial profiling."

To prove them wrong, Gutierrez showed several pictures featuring two famous people and challenged congress to "Pick Out the Immigrant."

Gutierrez concluded, "The point is simple ... the idea that any government official can determine who belongs in America and who doesn't simply by looking at them is completely ridiculous, unfair and un-American ... and yet this absurdity is the law of Arizona."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Nicole

I'm from California and I thought that immigration was out of control there, but now that I've been in Washington for 8 years I have noticed its worse here. Most of the people I go to school with are illegal, and no one seems to care here. Its not a Mexican/Hispanic/Latino thing here its mainly people from all these Asian countries here.

I think the minute any government agency finds out that someone is illegal they should be deported (Including colleges/schools if they are receiving gov funding).

And to all they people on here that thinks showing a state ID means your NOT ILLEGAL. Your wrong, cause when I got mine they didn't even check my birth certificate before they issued me one. In fact the lady told me that they don't consider that piece of do***ent valid when issuing state ID's in Washington State and I had to get more do***entation like year book photo and a utility bill.

Divamom76

When my 78 year old grandmother can't qualify for state assistance yet my kids are going to school with kids that can't speak English and our resources go to REQUIRING an ESL (English as a second language) teacher for every so many students, then hell ya, it pisses me off. Say whatever you want, my roots are deep in Mexico but they did it the LEGAL way!!! This Congressman can kiss my ass!!! Live where I do for 6 months. I FN dare him!!!

M.T.

Please people! If you are a legal citizen of the US you don't have to worry about this... If you are not legal and a cop find out to bad! American's are tired of paying for your healthcare and welfare!!!

Karen

It boggles the mind to read how many people vehemently believe that they are morally superior to others because they were fortunate enough to be born here in the U.S. instead of in Mexico. You are Americans due to an ACCIDENT OF BIRTH and nothing else. Get some freaking humility and gratitude that you did not have to be forced into breaking the law and living in fear in order to keep your kids from starving to death.

GRIS

YOU "AMERICANS" SAY WE "MEXICANS" ARE TAKING ALL THE JOBS NO **** WE ARE HARD ASS WORKERS. THATS WHY WE GET HIRED. i KNOW PLENTY OF "AMERICANS" THAT SIT ON THERE ASS JUST WAITING FOR THERE CHECK TO COME THRU THE MAIL!

tacestar

AWESOME!!!

And people... this in not about freakin welfare or social security (even though I know plenty who are CITIZENS who still take advantage of welfare)...
this is about RACIAL PROFILING... so shut the **** up....

plus... about the whole "taking our job bull****"... they're taking the jobs that NO BODY wants...

GRIS

YOU AMERICAN SAY US MEXICANS ARE TAKING UP ALL THE JOBS NO **** US MEXICAN ARE HARD ASS WORKERS. I KNOW PLENTY OF "AMERICANS" THAT SIT ALL DAY AT HOME AND WAIT FOR THERE PAY CHECK TO COME IN. I WAS BORN IN MEXICO AND RAISE IN THE US AND HAVE NO PAPERS!!! I WORK HARD EVERY DAY. DO MY TAXES EVERY YEAR. OWN MY OWN CAR. WENT TO COLLEGE, AND ALL THIS WITH OUT HAVING PAPERS!!! IAM SORRY FOR NOT BEING AMERICAN!

thomas

I wouldn't visit Arizona now for anything. I love the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and the area around it, but getting "detained" by some racial profiling cop is not my idea of how to spend a vacation. Plus they don't have to accept out of state Driver's License - so you would need a PASSPORT to visit Arizona..No thanks. There are plenty of other less hostile states to visit.

Francey Lowe

Lorettarobinsobills
Loretta Robinson stands outside a courtroom, detailing how she had to pay for cleanup after her son was killed by a drunk driver.

A South Carolina woman faced tragedy last June when a drunk driver killed her oldest son.

But the still-grieving mother, Loretta Robinson, is now being billed for the various charges associated with the accident, including a $50 charge to clean her son's blood off the road.

Justin Walker, Robinson's deceased son, was not found at fault for the accident. The accused driver, Anna Gonzalez, tearfully pleaded guilty in court last Tuesday, the Daily Mail reported.

According to MSNBC, the undo***ented woman had been living in the United States for 12 years, but never got a South Carolina driver's license. Gonzalez was sentenced to 17 years in prison.

Robinson was on hand in court to express her outrage at the bills she's received since losing her son.

"I had to pay to have the vehicle towed. I had to pay for the vehicle removed and to clean up the street from Justin's blood," Robinson said. According to WYFF, Robinson also paid to have the wrecked car stored for months in case there was a trial.

The South Carolina State Office of Victims Assistance offers a combined total of up to $15,000 for medical, funeral, counseling and wage compensation for the families of victims of crime.

According to NBC Greenville, Robinson received some money from the victim's assistance office, but it did not cover the costs of cleanup or storage.

There has been some recent controversy about the crime rate among undo***ented immigrants in the United States.

In March, the Scott Gardiner Act, a bill that would authorize the deportation of any undo***ented immigrant convicted of drunk driving, was reintroduced to Congress by Representatives Sue Myrick and Mike McIntyre, News 14 Carolina reported.

"We have to be able, as a country, to figure out a way with people here who are illegal and commit crimes," Robinson told WYFF.

1.9K
191
182
3.3K
Contribute to this Story:

Send us a tip
Send us a photo or video
Suggest a correction

33k

Get Alerts
From our partners

Strip Club 'Pole Tax' Funds Rape Investigations In Houston - Newser.com
Free Beer If You Hire My Son, Says Australian Dad - Guyism.com
Craziest Olympic Training Diets - Mental Floss

Mike

Am I the only one that found it interesting that he concluded by saying that people should be judged by their actions and not their appearance? Since this law has not yet gone into effect (which is why it was not deemed unconstitutional by the SCOTUSA) he is judging the law by it's appearance and not they actions of any law enforcement officers.

Dana

Was it Justin Bieber? LOL

misshaps

Thank you for posting this, TMZ! Great to see someone stand up against this law.

Fany

"To the Americans: an illegal immigrant CAN NOT collect welfare, food stamps, Medicare, unemployment simply because they are not citizens or residents so stop saying that. If food stamps or Medicaid r collected, it's for the kids that were born inside of the US n that makes those children eligible as US CITIZENS , whether u like it or not. Parents might not be legal but children r n guess what that's sumthing NOBODY can take away! " Americans" are the ones depleting your own system by not working n whining all the time about other races. Get up from ur fat asses , finish ur school instead of becoming another 16 n pregnant star, get a job n once u have that , always give the best of your self and don't complain, because there is a minority waiting for the opportunity to show how much better we are for this country!"

Fany

God-Of-Lyf

Bad Ass? Really? And it's not to hard to tell the difference. Anyone who looks of foreign descent to me needs to be checked! I want to know who/what/when at all times. Maybe it's paranoia but in today's age we have a RIGHT to know!!! We all know what happens when we let our guard down, We can't survive another attack of that magnitude. or can we??? Have you seen the red tape you have to go through just to get a friggin library card nowadays? UNBELIEVABLE!!! If I have to prove who I am while I'm out driving around town after midnight, why is so hard for the spic's to do the same. Just Saying...