Katie Holmes

Has East Coast Advantage

In Custody War with Tom

6/29/2012 4:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0629_katie_holmes_suri_tom_cruise_getty1
Katie Holmes had a VERY good reason for filing for divorce from Tom Cruise in New York ... because unlike California ... NY is a state that doesn't like giving waring parents joint power to make decisions for their kid.

As TMZ first reported, Katie filed the papers in New York ... and we know she's gunning for sole legal custody of 6-year-old Suri primarily because she doesn't want Tom to drag their daughter into the Church of Scientology.

Despite the fact Tom and Katie filed their marriage certificate in California, Katie went all the way to the East Coast to file the divorce docs because she knows she has a MUCH better chance of getting sole legal custody there ...  New York family law judges typically don't like giving two parents who don't get along the power to make child-rearing decisions because they believe the kids will suffer from endless conflicts.

But ... our sources say Tom may mount a fight to bring the case to California ... which favors joint legal custody.

Stay tuned.

Matrinka

So... the new "I swear I'm not gay" woman should arrive on scene in about 4-6 months. I guess Katie's contract to hide his lust for men ran out.

spitfire

Tom's fit? He believes an alien galactic ruler Xenu brought billions of people to Earth then murdered them. Their souls (thetans) were taken to cinemas and shown films about how God, the Devil and Christ are all lies. The Thetans were ill but had to inhabit a human body. Therefore sicknesses, addictions, metal defects are due to these Thetans. Scientology will "audit" you which removes these alien souls (body Thetans) from you for a HUGE price. Tom believes in this. I wouldn't want my child going through that crazy process. The judge should do some homework on Scientology. Especially on there "re-education" tactics. Scientology freaks me out.

bring back recent posts

....most moms just want the BEST for their kids....she probably came too her senses after spending time more frequently away from him...and I bet you still " loves" him..but a mothers love goes into fierce protection mode..and nothing can stop it...I wish her luck with what she is asking for...

gwen01

gotta love the Church of Scientology. Their tolerance for homosexuality and multiple divorces is amazing.

I saw this coming and called it years ago. If Katie hadn't left him now he would have dumped her before the 10 year mark. I don't know what it is going to take before Cruise realizes that his faith is also his downfall. Time for a fresh lineup of hopeful young stars willing to marry this narcissist. Tom when are you going to figure it out. You are a laughing stock and you know who you amuse the most; the elders of your chosen faith. Your devotion to this sect is scary.

Sam

Some reports are saying that it was getting to be the time when he wanted to start Suri in Scientology and Katie didn't want to. Do a little research on Scientology, people have been harmed, disappeared, or committed suicide upon walking away...I think doing this abruptly was the only way for her. It is not safe to mess with them, like I said, just do some Google search on leaving Scientology.

Sam

taz

Contract up, time to move on. Sole custody because the kid probably isn't even Tom's bio child. Mimi Rogers divorced him because he couldn't have children. Nicole adopted and Katie was probably inseminated by some Scientology high priest or whatever you call them.

janet

Looks like she sandbaged Cruise just like he did with Kidman.

Not surprised. No way Scientology was not going to play the major factor. This will get very ugly. Cruise doesn't like to loose.

ghost

I'm glad they are getting divorced. She always looked so sad, forlorn, and disheveled. Like she was trapped. My goodness, even when she was shopping, buying all kinds of stuff, she didn't even have a temporary look of exhilaration! I pray she is strong enough to fight for her child. It seemed like Nicole just let him roll all over her (with their kids). I hope she can get custody of Suri. I hate to think that Suri is going to be a brainwashed Scientologist.

Wounded Litigant

Justice Laura Drager of the New York Matrimonial Court is crying for joy. The Cruise/ Holmes high net worth divorce will finance the corrupt Judge Drager and her cronies for the next few years. Both Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise seem like nice people and good parents. The money-grubbing "on-the take" Justice Drager is licking her homely chops. Legal Fees Justice Drager...Legal Fees Justice Drager.

janet

Holmes is doing the right thing. Espically for her daughter. Scientology is a glorified cult.

Schuyler Chase

I'm pretty sure it was Scarlett Johannson who was "auditioned" and who said it was creepy and weird.

kim

I don't know who wrote this article, but it is clearly written by someone who is not familiar with NYS family court. Unless the child is physically abused, courts go out of their way to ensure shared custody.

Larry

May years ago I was at a small landing strip. Not big enough to even call it an airport. There was a P-51 Mustang buzzing around, so a bunch of us were intrigued. It landed and the solo pilot jumped out, in a blue jumpsuit which made him look like Billy Barty. As he walked away from the aircraft (totally bitchen) the crowd of people clapped. Someone said to me "That is Tom Cruise". I will tell you he very much was into being a movie star, based on the way he carried himself.
The Scientology thing is just plain creepy.

URSilly

Shows that his priority is Scientology over his own wife and child. As if he is married to Scientology over being married to Katie.

If he really wanted this marriage, he would leave Scientology.