Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

Truth

EVER NOTICE.. ALL THE OLD SKOOL CELEBS ALL LIVE LONG LIVES AND THE CURRENT ONES BORN 1960... OR LATER ALL CROAK BEFORE THEIR TIME. ANSWER: "DRUGS IN MY POCKET AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. DRUGS..." #TRUTH!!

Debra Crum

A sad day indeed. Another childhood icon gon. R.I.P. Mr. Griffith.

Rob

That is so sad Andy Griffith is and was an American icon, The memories will live on in our hearts and minds forever Mr. Griffith say a big hello to Don Knotts and the other cast mate from the Andy Griffith Show who as past on, Rest In Peace Mr. Griffith Rest In Peace.

Regina

OMG. This makes me so sad. I know the man was old and we should expect it but I so did not want to see this in the morning.
I am a die hard Andy Griffith show watcher. Have been since childhood Still watch it all the time to this day and I watch Matlock sometimes too.
I really liked him in his movies that he made. He played a really good evil guy in some Lifetime movies.
My most favorite role of his was Joe, the pie shop owner in the movie Waitress with Keri Russell.
RIP Andy. We will always remember you fishing with Opie at Meyer's Lake.
It seems like everyday a piece of my childhood get's ripped away, It's depressing.

Kerrinne

So devastated. RIP Andy. Our world is better because you were in it.

StarryStarryNight

my favorite andy movie...angel in my pocket. if you haven't seen it, add it to your must-see movie list!

bless his heart!

chiquita330

I am so sad about the passing of such a great actor....RIP and thanks for all of the wonderful memories......the God for TVLand.

Proud2bBlack

May God bless your soul Andy, if you were anything like you were on television, you're in the perfect place HEAVEN. Loved watching you and Aunt B, as a child. I'll meet you in heaven. :-)

Butterfly

OH, GOD, HOW SAD! Thank You for having one of the most "down home" decent, cleanest, most enjoyable shows in television history! Nothing will ever match the Andy Griffith Shows or, Matlock. Sleep Well, Andy. Say "hello" to Aunt Bea, Barney, Goober, Helen, Otis, Howard and Floyd. We loved you all and, will continue to watch your shows as long as we can! Rest in Peace!!!

test

whoa

Amy

It makes me sad to see all the good ones go. Rest in peace Andy and thank you for always being good.

dennis watkins

andy, you touched so many lives mine included,rest in peace knowing you left the world a little better place just by being you.

jokerchick

aww, RIP

danny williams

one of my most favorite t.v shows of all time.i guess i probly seen every episode at least 3to4 times.RHPin peace andy

StarryStarryNight

the episode where opie and the boys buy the salve comes on at 11:00.

at 11:30 it's the fun girls. i love the fun girls!

on tvland.