Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

Patty Cartwright

I loved watching Andy Griffith's TV shows and I will truly miss him. When I watched him on Matlock he always reminded me of my Daddy. Now they will both be together in Heaven. RIP Andy Griffith.

Odins Acolyte

Say 'hey" to everybody. Missin' you already.

Teresa Jones

Andy society will miss you. A lot of us grew up with our favorite icon. God bless and be with you and you're family. You will be in my prayers.

Jules

Awww ... Andy Griffith is still one of my all time favorite shows. You were a great guy and lived your life with much dignity. Rest in Peace

angie

RIP Andy. You were such a role model and an icon. You will always be remembered. Thank you for all your great work. May best to your family.

Rob M

Thanks Andy - my very favorite TV Dad. We will never forget you!

Jim DeHart

Andy, rest in peace, and may your loved ones that survive remember you in all they do.

I spent endless summers watching you as Andy Griffith, and just last weekend as Matlock, chowing down on one of those great hotdogs.

May eternity be all it can be for you.

Sincerely, Jim DeHart

Airmail56

Andy was about the best Father example we ever had. Honest, caring. hardworking and always there to lead a helping hand. Hollywood has failed to equal this mans 60 year example to us all. RIP an American Hero.

Big D

Sad Day! RIP Andy, you provided entertainment and laughs to millions of people worldwide. A true Gentleman Actor.

TheTruth

My heart breaks. R.I.P. Mr. Griffith you were one of a kind.

barnyardhumor

I so miss the days when TV was clean and entertaining. Andy Griffith comes from an era gone by and truly made his mark. thank you Andy Griffith. Tragic what we've sunk to - Kardashians, Housewives, Mob Wives, Jersey Shore - the dumbing down of America. No thanks to Ryan Seacrest - EVER!

jack

funniest thing ever..."The thing is....the thing is football!

sam

So long Andy. Give our best to Don knots and make sure you give him all of the bullets for his gun now...lol

will

As we prepare to celebrate our American heritage what a great time to remember A show that taught goodness, compassion, generosity, morals and honesty...man do we miss that. Well done, Andy...a life well lived.

It's Dave

He shall be missed.

Just a note.... Andy didn't star in Mayberry R.F.D. He was an executive producer of the show and made 5 guest appearances.