Andy Griffith Death

Hometown Cops

Don Black Ribbons

7/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0704_tmz_mayberry_courthouse
Police in Andy Griffith's hometown in North Carolina are in the black after the Hollywood legend's death this week -- wearing black ribbons in memory of the actor ... for the next 7 days.

Sheriff Graham Atkinson of the Surry County Sheriff's Office tells TMZ, the ribbons will be tied to all Surry County patrol cars for the next week, beginning today.

Sheriff Atkinson also released a statement, saying, "For those of us who were fortunate enough to have met Mr. Griffith, news of his death leaves us with a wealth of great memories but also a broken heart."

Fat Mike

That's pretty cool. He was obviously loved in his hometown.

Throwback kid

No comments? He is now with aunt Bee and Barney RIP

PS and Otis the drunk

anon

R.I.P.

Linda

What a great tribute. I think this is better then anything Hollywood could do.

BeSerious

Wow. I would love to be that loved.

Corey Smith

Well don't that beat everything? RIP Andy

steverino

Used to like Andy until he sold his soul to Obamacare. I reckon they pulled out all the stops to save him!(right) They will let anyone "old" die like a dog so they can give free care to young potential voters.

JackG

I'm a former resident of this town. I don't deny Andy's talents whatsoever and think his career and life should be honored. That being said, I want to point out that Andy hated Mount Airy and had nothing to do with the town. The town (city council/tourism staff, not citizens) is obsessed with the small tourism draw they get from the show. Andy visited once in the 60's and never stepped foot in the town again until the early 00's when he visited twice: once for a statue unveiling and next for a ceremony renaming a highway after him. Both times he visited, the county had to pay him a high amount to come. It's no secret Andy held a grudge against the town due to what he referred to as "undeserved treatment" toward him and his family. Again, I'm not denying Andy's talents or painting him in a bad light, I just think this should also be mentioned. An editorial in the local paper today that mentions his grudge can be found at http://mtairynews.com/view/full_story/19192816/article-Lessons-Andy-Griffith-could-teach-to-all-of-us?

Morticia Cowghoul

PERFECT!
Andy will live forever in my heart and soul.

Bloomcounty.USA

Yet no mention of the "Mayberry Courthouse" signage in the background ... I wanna know about that, not just the black ribbon on the antenna. Did they change the sign's as a tribute, or were they already using the name "Mayberry" on official buildings prior to his passing?

Bill Strom

Mount Airy has a history of taking advantage of Andy Griffith's celebrity.
And it's no wonder why he was pissed at the community for so long.
You can read the whole story here:

Gretel

Awwww. That's really touching. RIP Andy.

Butterfly

MY GOD! Andy passed away only a few days ago. I wish some of the negative comments today, and since his death, would have waited at least a few more days before unleashing such cruel remarks. What possible pleasure could anyone have except self satisfaction to pull him down and kick him to the wolves before he is even cold in his grave? I realize we all have our own purposes for our personal behavior, but, there is something called, "decency" which, at times, needs to be demonstrated fairly and in due time.

Pat Abraham

I grew up in Mt. Airy aka Mayberry ,N.C. I knew some of his relatives very well.