Katie Holmes

Laughs Off Divorce

7/4/2012 9:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0704_suri_cruise_katie_holmes_splash_launchKatie Holmes is officially happy -- at least that's the way it appeared in NYC yesterday, when the actress dropped by an ice cream parlor with her daughter Suri ... and finally had a good laugh.

It's the first time Katie's smiled that big since she filed for divorce last week. In fact, it's the first time we've seen her smile that big in a while.

Of course, Katie and Suri weren't alone -- they stopped by the East Village ice cream shop with some friends. Oh yeah, and 4 hulking bodyguards.

Talk about flavor of the month.

Janet

Scientology spies don't need to follow her because the paparazzi are doing the job for them! And any of Rupert Murdoch's publications probably already has her cell phone tapped and that's why the Daily Mail got this published first - it's a Murdoch tabloid. Change your phone and have your cars and apartment checked for bugs and GPS devices, Katie!

Majestik

I wonder how Suri is dealing with all this, she definitely sees a change in her mom. The pictures we saw with her and mom together Katie looked very quiet, now look at her, she's full of life again. The only thing I can say about Cruise is, he's one hell of an emotional vampire that certainly sucked the life out of his wife.

brad

Katy Perry and Katie Holmes have a few things in common besides just their first names. They both got out of bad marriages with Hollywood actors who they initially thought were "Mr. Wonderful". Katy Perry escaped the very sheltered existence of her evangelical Christian parents while Katie Holmes escaped the control freak wackos in Scientology. Both Katy Perry and Katie Holmes have ex-hubbies who were in the flop new movie "Rock of Ages". I remember seeing a news story about Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise meeting Katy backstage after one of her concerts last year. They know each other a little now. Katie Holmes ought to call Katy Perry and ask her about how she's been handling her divorce from Russell.

Jen7286

It really makes me happy to finally see a smile on her face again, even Surie doesn't look as sad as she usually does! Katie also looks like her youthful self again! I grew up watching Katie Holmes on Dawsons creek as sweet Joey Potter, from when I was 11 year's old to 16 years old and I looked up to her so much when I was 11/12 years old along with her being my favorite actress back then. I really hope she finds herself again and starts getting back into doing what she loves acting : )

Majestik

Gotta love the glow in her face now, with or without makeup.

spokenword

She looks worn out and tired, but finally happy.

melody

Rupert Murdoch Attacks Scientology Because It Once Courted His Son Lachlan
by Paula Froelich Jul 2, 2012 5:02 PM EDT

If you wondered why Rupert Murdoch used the occasion of the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes split to attack Scientology, look no further than the media baron’s eldest son, Lachlan, who was once courted by the church, writes Paula Froelich.

On Sunday Rupert Murdoch, arguably the most powerful man in media, stunned media watchers when he inserted himself into the Tom Cruise–Katie Holmes divorce fray by attacking Cruise’s beloved religion.

Tweeting first, “Scientology back in news. Very weird cult, but big, big money involved with Tom Cruise either No. 2 or 3 in hierarchy,” and then, “Watch Katie Holmes and Scientology story develop. Something creepy, maybe even evil, about these people,” the News Corp. CEO waded into the morass and basically declared himself Scientology Enemy No. 1.

Many were shocked—why the hell would Rupert Murdoch, of all people, get involved in this? But a close Murdoch ally noted, “He has a long memory and no love for Scientology.”

The controversial religion, after all, once went after his eldest son Lachlan—using Tom Cruise and Lachlan’s close pal James Packer to try and recruit the Murdoch scion to its cause.

In 1999 Lachlan and Packer–then partners in the doomed telecommunications company, One.Tel–became close with Cruise through Cruise’s then wife, Nicole Kidman. Cruise and Kidman spent that year in Australia to be close to her family and often hung out with the “Princes of Oz” (Lachlan and Packer) and their wives, Sarah O’Hare and Jodie Meares, as well as Baz Luhrmann and his wife, Catherine Martin, and actors John Polson and David Wenham.

But Cruise’s eyes were firmly set on Lachlan and Packer. The actor nurtured the pair with particular care and the three became close, with Cruise flying on private jets with Lachlan and using that time to spout the glories of Scientology.

At the time, Packer was intrigued while Lachlan remained skeptical. Scientology, smelling major money (the Packer family is one of the richest in Australia and the Murdochs, well—they’re not doing so badly themselves), was eager to have two high-profile, wealthy converts.

“It would have been Scientology’s biggest ‘get’ to have Lachlan Murdoch, then the heir apparent to Rupert, in the fold,” the source said. However, Lachlan didn’t bite and Rupert was not happy with the courting of his son.

“Rupert didn’t like Scientology—thought it was a bunch of nonsense,” the source said.

Lachlan soon terminated his friendship with Cruise and made it clear he would not be joining the Scientology fold. Over the years there has been talk inside the News Corp. building of an “intervention” that Rupert staged to make sure his son didn’t fall into the clutches of the church, but a high-level News Corp. source said, “(Lachlan) is smarter than that.”

Rupert Murdoch, via his rep, Steven Rubenstein, said: “It’s simply not true,” regarding the intervention.

Lachlan told The Daily Beast, “I can confirm, on the record, that I have never considered or close to considered becoming a Scientologist in any way or at any time. The premise of the story is entirely wrong. I probably come close to sharing my father's views about the religion, but I resist tweeting them.”

Even more telling, when Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman divorced, the Murdochs came out in full support of Kidman–hosting several parties for her over the years and frequently dining with her in private. She was later even named godmother to Murdoch’s youngest daughters, Grace and Chloe.

In an “enemy of my enemy is my friend” move, Rupert’s support is now seemingly being extended to Holmes.

But while Lachlan severed ties with Cruise, James Packer did not. The wealthy Aussie was often seen with Cruise and was, for a while, a huge proponent of Scientology, which supported him after his marriage to Meares ended in 2002. According to reports, Packer started attending courses at the Scientology Center in Glebe, Australia, and employed a Scientologist as his live-in personal assistant and religious tutor. Around that time, Packer started spending more time in the U.S., frequently vacationing with Cruise at the actor’s estate in Telluride, Colo. The friendship became so close that in 2007, when Packer married former model Erica Baxter, there were rumors that Cruise would officiate. Cruise ended up just being a guest, bringing his then wife, Katie Holmes, with other Scientologists and celebrating alongside the Murdoch clan, who kept their distance from the actor.

It now seems Packer may have also tired of the money-hungry church. Earlier today, a Rupert Murdoch fan tweeted to the News Corp. CEO, “Does @rupertmurdoch 's tweeting about Scientology mean there is a fight brewing with the Packer camp?”
To which Murdoch replied, “No, James good friend who saw the light long time ago.”

Meanwhile, Murdoch’s views on the church, whose devotees are especially fanatic, has caused him a bit of trouble. After his initial tweets on Sunday, Murdoch noted, “Since Scientology tweet hundreds of attacks. Expect they will increase and get worse and maybe threatening. Still stick to my story.”

But who better than Rupert Murdoch to take on Scientology? After all, what can they really do to Murdoch?

brad

I used to watch "Dawson's Creek" sometimes. Katie was good in that TV series along with the rest of the cast. All the actors on that show have gone on to some pretty good success in their career ... especially Michelle Williams, Katie and Joshua Jackson. Hopefully, those guys from the show are all still friends and help each other out in difficult times like this. Katie seemed like a smart, mature, well adjusted "girl next door" in that role and she was only like 17 years old or something. There's no doubt that Katie Holmes is smart and has acting talent. When she was a bit younger, Katie reminds me a little of Jennifer Lawrence from "The Hunger Games". I hope Katie will get a bunch of good TV or movie roles in the next few years. She's still young and good looking. I bet she'll get herself a studly new boyfriend or hubby before long and she'll forget all about the years with that 50 year old dude Tom Cruise and his crazy Scientology cult.

Joan K

I hope Katie's acting career soars and she makes Tommie Boy squirm. The only thing he has going for him is he is a good actor, that is what I hear because I have never watched a movie that he has made. Good Luck Katie but watch your back, Tommie is a little wacko so you never know what he has up his sleeve.

Betty

I know I will hear from the "haters" for this, but I have to say it......that kid gives me the creeps.

jailharvey

What TMZ does is criminal, I want to see Harvey Levin in Jail.

If YOU and your loved ones were targeted by these TMZ maggots, and they chased around your kids and nearest and dearest and concocted ridiculous stories in order to sell advertisements and get rick on your back, I suspect more then one person would hunt down Harvey Levin or at least send lawyers after his smug gleeful face!

jailharvey

What TMZ does is criminal, I want to see Harvey Levin in Jail.

If YOU and your loved ones were targeted by these TMZ maggots, and they chased around your kids and nearest and dearest and concocted ridiculous stories in order to sell advertisements and get RICH on your back, I suspect more then one person would hunt down Harvey Levin or at least send lawyers after his smug gleeful face!

kitnplayn

You are disgusting vulgar people who would intrude on their freedoms.

jailharvey

Why do you worship celebrities and not hate Harvey Levin?

TheRedPill

Jenna Miscavige Hill

My experience in growing up in Scientology is that it is both mentally and at times physically abusive.

I was allowed to see my parents only once a week at best – sometimes not for years. We got a lousy education from unqualified Teachers, forced labor, long hours, forced confessions, being held in rooms not to mention the mental anguish of trying to figure out all of the conflicting information they force upon you as a young child. You need only read the similar if not more horrifying stories on this site.

While it is very unlikely that Suri Cruise would have the same upbringing as me (due to her parent's celebrity status), any organization that is capable of mistreating and neglecting the needs of children, regardless of their social status, and which has a long history of breaking up families is no place for an innocent child.

The people in Scientology who are responsible for "PR" are experts at twisting the truth and intimidation tactics.

As a mother myself, I offer my support to Katie and wish for her all of the strength she will need to do what is best for her and her daughter.

Best,