« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Luke Bryan

Yes, I Checked My Watch

During National Anthem

7/11/2012 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

071112_luck_bryan_launchv2
Country singer Luke Bryan admits ... he was reading from his hand and his watch while performing the National Anthem at the MLB All-Star game yesterday ... and says he can explain the whole thing.

Bryan came under fire from critics who claimed checking one's watch while singing the Anthem is plain disrespectful.

But Bryan went to his Twitter page moments ago hoping to clear things up.

Bryan wrote, "I did check my watch because I knew the stealth bomber would fly over 2 minutes in and I knew a [sic] started a little late."

As for reading lyrics off his hand, Bryan says, "I had a few keys words written down to insure myself that I wouldn't mess up. I just wanted to do my best. I promise it was from the heart."

"If I offended anyone with my approach I sincerely apologize. Anytime I sing the anthem it is an honor and my heart beats out of my chest."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

KD

No Disrespect, He was trying to make it perfect and I give him kudos for getting up in front of all of those people and not MESSING it up!!! Awesome job Luke Bryan!!

christinamichelle

Wtf people are way too sensitive these says.....

Sherri Baldwin

I just want to say that he sings in front of thousands on almost any given day, it is what he does for a living in fact so why would he be nervous?

Carl

What a non-issue. It seems very respectful to make sure you do the song justice by getting the words right and finishing in time to ensure it doesn't conflict with a noisy distraction.

PaulWS

Never even heard of the dumb hillbilly til this. Nothing worse than country music.

whatevs

DEPORT HIM! THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE! (kidding!)

Where's KOOKY?

Okay, I'll probably get nailed for saying this, but I think we need to give this guy a bit of a break. Yes, everyone who sings the national anthem at any event should know the words cold...no excuses. Hell, as Americans, we should ALL know the words, but do we? Do YOU?

What posters aren't taking into consideration are two major factors playing here: that he was singing before the largest audience he'll ever see (no pressure there), PLUS -- and most importantly -- he had to time it perfectly to coincide with the Stealth flyover. I'd never heard of the guy before last night, so I don't have a dog in this race. I thought, yeah, he's an okay singer, but to do this, especially without back-up music to make timing easier, is asking a LOT of any singer. Yes, he IS a professional. But even they get nervous, goof upl I think it's the Roseanne's of the world we need to take to task for treating the song like a joke, not a seemingly nice guy who will probably be beating himself up for some time (which he shouldn't).
By the way...the singer I couldn't stand was Kelli PIckler! Sweet Jesus...what an ICKY voice!!!! She's the one I had to mute....

Jim in Cali

These stadiums all have big scoreboards, why not just have the lyrics streaming from there? Problem solved.

Ms. Underestimate

Forgive him? I don't even know who he is AND I couldn't care less.

Keyser Söze

The silly, insignificant things people get themselves upset over...

Obviously, his critics wanted him to completely mess up, so they could have something to bitch about.

jared phillips

It has to be nerve racking to get up and sing in front of so many people, I could see anyone messing up from being nervous.

I am Spartacus

Who cares? He sang it and sang it well. This isn't an exam he's taking.

People that are offended over this are idiots.

You try standing up in front of that many people, with the cameras on you and not screwing up a word.

Oh Puh-leeze!

My husband flies the B2, and I totally understand what happened. You have the ground crew, technicians at the game, and many other folks who do their best to coordinate the event. The logistics involved are extremely complicated, so Luke shouldn't be raked over the coals.

Krispy

I would much rather him have a "cheat sheet" than mistakenly murder the anthem. Too many artists have KILLED it and not in a good way!

sidithers

@Bob
Youre right
This country is going to hell
Because of idiots like you

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments