Aretha Franklin

I Want to Be the Next 'American Idol' Judge

7/15/2012 5:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0715_aretha-franklin_tmz
Dry your tears, "Idol" fans -- Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are out, but something even better might be in store for you ... Aretha Franklin is officially putting her hat in the ring to be the next judge.

The Queen of Soul herself sent out an email Saturday saying, "Yes, I am interested as a judge," when asked about a future role in the singing competition.

The 18-time Grammy winner would come as a replacement judge for the next season after both Tyler and Lopez bowed out last week.

Neither Fox, nor Freemantle Media -- the honchos behind "Idol" -- have commented on the legendary singer's interest ... yet.

If Aretha does become a judge, all we can say is ... R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

ashley

Hell yea! She would be great AND brutally honest! She is a true talent! But....seeing what IDOL has picked in the past,,,,it'll never happen. J-Lo was seriously a joke!

shavedkitty

It's official=the show has jumped the shark.Aretha is a legend but she is no longer relevant-for the show to continue to garner ratings they need to pander to the pre teen set,not the geriatrics.....

LittleBIt

Is this a current picture of Aretha? If it is, she looks like shes gaining weight again. I hope she takes care of herself and keeps that weight off. She lost so much weight and looked great and I'm sure her health improved as a result. She would be a great Idol judge and I hope they seriously consider her. She is a music icon. R-E-S-P-E-C-T . . . find out what it means to me!!!

Chuck

Franklin would be a total disaster.

anne

can you say N - O

Silvie

YES YES YES!!! I have watched AI since day one and never missed a beat! Aretha would be awesome! Who better than the queen of soul herself??

Gracie

If they are going to hire recording artist it should be someone who is currently recording. Personally I would prefer Pink over Aretha .....or Mariah Carey. Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood would also be great a a judge. I'm not really a an of Aretha's but I don't deny her talent, I jus think he ego is way too bg. I'm not a Beyince fan either but she would make more sense than Aretha IMO.

Bloomcounty.USA

Now that would be INCREDIBLE ... not sure if it'll pan out, but that's a much better choice than the others being bounced around.

Sincerity

Having her as a "JUDGE" would be a "BREATH OF FRESH AIR"!!! It wouldn't hurt American Idol's demographic to DIVERSIFY somewhat. I haven't watched that show in YEARS!!! Furthermore, I doubt, if Aretha would be as likely to quickly "DUMP" American Idol as soon as the public shows the "SLIGHTEST INTEREST" in a potential music tour as Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler have done!!! Believe me, in a year or two -- THEY'LL "BOTH" BE DONE!!!

Mee-Mee75

Aretha Franklin!!! Yes, I think she would be an excellent judge for the show. This show has had a variety of judges but non could hold a candle to the Queen. She is very talented and an American Icon. I know with her being a judge she will give the performers the truth. Hail to the Queen.

marti

I seem to remember that she has a foul mouth,will her language fly on TV?..just sayin
I'm old like Ms. Franklin but I would rather see younger judges myself

Paul B

I'd say Fatso is broke and needs the gig....

KicksandGiggles

I think the vacant chairs left by Tyler & J.Nothing should not have permanent judges. I think a variety of guest celeb judges with real music credentials should have one chair per city and the other should be filled with a guest viewer from that city. Then when the real competition settles down, get real life music producers. Tyler and J.Nothing honestly added nothing more than weight in a chair.

Sandra

Please NO!!!!!!! She has had her day and can't sing like she used too! Too bad she doesn't get it!! Idol is a sinking ship and she would help it sink faster!!

Daniel Asamota

Aretha needs to save her energy for American Idol has finally played out. No one is interested anymore and the show has just become boring. I don't even know who won this year nor do I care and many many more feel the same as me. Simon Cowell's shows have just run their course and it's time for something else.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments