Aretha Franklin

I Want to Be the Next 'American Idol' Judge

7/15/2012 5:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0715_aretha-franklin_tmz
Dry your tears, "Idol" fans -- Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are out, but something even better might be in store for you ... Aretha Franklin is officially putting her hat in the ring to be the next judge.

The Queen of Soul herself sent out an email Saturday saying, "Yes, I am interested as a judge," when asked about a future role in the singing competition.

The 18-time Grammy winner would come as a replacement judge for the next season after both Tyler and Lopez bowed out last week.

Neither Fox, nor Freemantle Media -- the honchos behind "Idol" -- have commented on the legendary singer's interest ... yet.

If Aretha does become a judge, all we can say is ... R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Budder

Aretha cant possibly be a judge,becasue the judges FLY to all the locations..and ARETHA DONT FLY she drives everywhere she goes..so no go for Aretha as a judge on IDOL

mrbig2u

I WOULD LOVE 2 SEE THE QUEEN OF SOUL AS A JUDGE... SEE HAS A QUEEN EYES FOR GOOD MUSIC...I THINK THEY SHOULD GIVE HER A CHANCE 2 2 DO HER JOB....GOOD LUCK MS FRANKLIN U HAVE MY VOTE 4 HER....

SusanCoyote

Too old, too fat, too out of touch with what is going on in the music business.

buck

AF anrgy, evil, hateful, jealous, phony, resentful and all that is bad but she is a woman of God. She is not a nice woman, honest to God truth. I hate to say it saw her perform rude to staff, sings with heavy tongue and nasal, beyond overrated.

Sissy houston sings better and would do a better job.

karlew

Christ all you f*cking moron kids need to take of your diapers and sit down and listen to something other than Bieber and Selena. This is the most relevant woman in music ever All your little stars know and respect Aretha. This is the queen and you all need to show some respect. Anyway that said yes Aretha would be a great judge but I kinda thought fluff like AI would be beneath her. Oh well, she's Aretha she can do what she wants to do and it will be awesome.

Katrina

All hail the Queen!!!!!

justjo104

Love her music but don't want to see her as a judge on Idol. Too much the DIVA! It will not be enjoyable TV.

Mulholland Drive

I bet they could get her for a hell of a lot less than 20 million and she'd do a much better job than anybody on the panel now.

TruthBSaid

Franklin's health was so bad she couldn't attend, muchless sing at Whitney Houston's funeral, but she thinks she can make it to Idol every week? Maybe the funeral gig didn't pay enough.

Cassandra

How are you all calling Mrs. Franklin old? Stephen Tyler ass is how old? I will tell you 64. HIS ASS IS OLD AS WELL. Many of you are making comments because Mrs. Franklin is black but at least she looks good. Stephen Tyler looks like a dried up prune. Dam crack head lol but thats what YOU ALL LIKE.

Mary

I think Aretha would give a fresh approach to the show, true singing is never outdated.

Black Lace

Yessss Ri Ri is the perfect choice...

onecent

I like and respect Aretha, but I think Maria Carey would be an AWESOME judge! Now if they got rid of Randy, and found 2 people on Mariah's level, then AI would have 1/2 a chance!

harlow2010

American Idol just needs to end already.

ohreally