« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Statue Removed

7/22/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0722_paterno_statue_gettyThe statue honoring Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been removed from in front of Beaver Stadium.

The statue was removed via forklift as 100-150 students watched, chanting, "We are Penn State."

Penn State president Rodney Erickson announced the statue will be stored in a "secured location."

Erickson released a statement saying, "I now believe that, contrary to is original intention, Coach Paterno's statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to hearing in our university and beyond. For that reason, I have decided that it is in the best interest of our university and public safety to remove the statue and store it in a secure location."

The decision came 10 days after a report conducted by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh conclude that Paterno, as well as other top Penn State administrators, had concealed the allegations of child sexual abuse made against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

A new report by CBS Sports says the NCAA will hand down "unprecedented" penalties against the school on Monday morning.

Paterno passed away six months ago.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sloane

they should have done it at least a week or two ago
better late than never

Smoothnate

I thought it was settled last week, they were going to change it so he looks the other way.

verlinda

I think it should stay. It is about the coaching, Paterno can't testify.

Dee3678

Good

Billy

Those who don't condone and stop pedophiles are probably pedophiles as well. I'm just saying Jo PA knew what the hell was going on and did nothing about it.

Billy

A puma is a woman in her late 20-30s who has sex with younger men. A cougar is a woman in her 40-50's who has sex with young men. A Nitnany Lion is a guy in his 70s who has sex with young boys.

Sandra

This guy was part of a terrible cover up and it's a good thing to get rid of his statue !! Now their football program needs to be taken away for a few years as this is the only way for them to be made accountable for their inexcusable behaviour!!

Ih8Taxes

Rot in hell Joe Pa.

Joao

That bastard went to his grave feigning, with a smirk to being ignorant that boys [in general] were raped. I wanted to reach through the television and rake his friggen eyes out!!! But I can assure you he stood before THE judge and not one of those Californian Celebrity Court Consortium "show me the money" judges and the gig is among others of his ilk where there is eternal weeping a gnashing of teeth because you can't bullsh1t GOD.

Doug

I think the more appropriate measure would be to remove the Penn State Campus. It wasn't only Paterno that failed to protect children. If you're going to take down the statue because it "divides the campus" and reminds you of the mistakes maken in your locker room shower by one of your former employees, best go ahead and take down the whole frickin' campus as well because it all reminds me of the child abuses that happened there. Go away, Perve State!

Mittleschmerz

Scrap it!!!!!!

Where's KOOKY?

I'm very, VERY happy that Paterno's statue has been removed. However, I have mixed feelings about what the NCAA might do to the football program. Don't get me wrong -- what Sandusky and the other five did was beyond sick and reprehensible. And my heart breaks for the young men whose lives were forever changed as boys. But...the current football team and all associated with it has NOTHING to do with the program under the evil regime. Think of the collateral damage and how many hundreds -- if not thousands -- of people who will be affected by the death penalty, if that's imposed. The ripple effect on all those who depend on that football weekend money, especially in this economy. HOW is penalizing the current team going to make this all better? All it will do is ruin an otherwise fine university (and no, I have NO connection to PSU). Get those five surviving bastards and punish them like nobody's business...THEY are the ones, and the only ones, who should be severely punished, not innocent players and all those whose livelihoods depend on games being played. I know my comment will probably not go over well, but while my prayers go out to the victims, I also feel for all the people whose lives will be compromised by the actions of these five men. It just doesn't seem fair.

Julian

with the tearing down of the statue, they should also give back the 42 MILLION dollars that the Paterno family donated to the university.

Matthew Fortier

Thats Bull****. The guy was a head coach for 50 years longer then him being an "enabler". He didnt touch any children, he just turned a blind eye to accusations. You cant tarnish the legacy of a man who did countless AMAZING things, not only for the football program, but for charities, and people alike. Shame on Penn State.

debster60

Gut the showers out as well

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments