Mariah Carey

You Are the Next ... 'American Idol' Judge

7/23/2012 12:08 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/23/2012 4:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0723_mariah_carey_american_idol_article
update_bar
4:55 PM PT -- Mariah Carey will actually make a record $18 MILLION for her first year on "American Idol" -- more than J.Lo made before her ... and more than Britney on "X Factor."

0314_divider_graphic
It's official ... Mariah Carey has joined "American Idol."

The announcement was made moments ago at the TV Critics Association Summer Press tour in Beverly Hills.

The 42-year-old singer is rumored to have signed a deal worth $12 million for her first year ...  the same amount of $$$ Jennifer Lopez made during her first year with the show.

So far, it's still unclear if Randy Jackson will remain on board.

'Idol' still has one more spot to fill at the judge's table ... and there are rumors Miley Cyrus and Adam Lambert could be in the running.

Annoyed

I won't be watching. Who needs a diva? I'd rather have someone fun who will give constructive feedback

Areader

Miley Cyrus and Adam Lambert....they're jokin' right?

skatrin

Excellent choice, she's got cred that J-Lo will never have (even tho she was ok as a judge).

To complete the winning line-up get Adam NOT Miley.

cherokeesky34

REALLY?!? Have they lost their ever-lovin-freakin-MINDS????? The woman can't even show up to a TAPING anywhere near on time... and they expect that self absorbed,egotistical,one-who-gives-divas-a-dirty-name to show up, on time, repeatedly, ON LIVE TV????? This is about the dumbest thing I've seen anyone do in a very, very long time.

yk

Will not be watching with Mariah on. If they add Lambert that would make me want to vomit. Why the hell would they hire a guy who can not even sell a CD!

viv

Never bothered to watch it but some pages have mentioned Kanye. Imagine that Kanye & Mariah. Hmmm. THAT I'll watch! (But just just a couple of episodes).

Truth

MARIAH'S ASSISTANT NICK CAREY WAS WRONG... 100 MIL???? GTFO!! #TRUTH!!

Irene

Why do they keep getting these difficult, self centered people instead of more normal, easy to work with people? Carrie Underwood would probably be good, maybe Dolly Parton or Reba McIntyre or just anyone who is not on tour and can talk about someone other than theirselves.

grace

I can't stand her...bad choice...not watching it until she is off.

AreUCrazy

I will not be watching if she's the judge.. she's a diva who acts better then everyone. Can't stand her.

I am Spartacus

Why does anyone still bother watching this crap?

Kabala

I don't like her.

LuisMiFan

My sympathies to the AI cast and audience.

Deviant

I think who ever doesn't think this is an upgrade is nuts!! She has 5 grammys and one hell of a cooky personality. It's going to be fun, fun, fun... Paula Abdul craziness with a 90% diva attitude increase, can't wait to watch. Everyone loves a train wreck, I was hoping they would cast her along side Britney on X factor.

troy

mariah is a talented musician who can ACTUALLY sing, so of course she is an upgrade. RIP you people's basic taste.