Russell Brand

To Be CHARGED

for iPhone-Smashing

7/25/2012 12:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0724_russell_brand_mug_shotRussell Brand will be charged with a crime for throwing a paparazzi's iPhone through a glass window in New Orleans back in March ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ...  the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office has finally decided to go forward and prosecute the actor ... and will file one charge of misdemeanor criminal damage to property against Brand sometime today.

TMZ broke the story ... Russell was initially named in a police report on March 12 after snatching a cell phone away from a photog ... and firing it through the window of a nearby building.

Russell turned himself in to police on March 15 ... and explained his actions on Twitter -- "Since Steve Jobs died I cannot bear to see anyone use an iphone irreverently, what I did was a tribute to his memory."

Brand has already prepared himself for a legal battle -- as we reported, the actor has preemptively hired a high-powered New Orleans attorney to fight any possible charges in the case.

If convicted, Brand faces 6 months in jail.

There's a problem here

The downhill spiral had begun to quicken. He's low on the Celebrity Death List but he's on it and that's a good start.

Bridget

I'm siding with Russel on this one. Simply because I got pulled over today and cops are not my favorite people at the moment. My opinion could change later when I'm not so ticked off, lol.

BTW, I gave Russels new show a shot. I could only watch it for 10 minutes. It was terrible.

billybob

He looks like the next super hero killer...

meltz911

Good! Give this douche all the crap in the world as pay back for all the unfunny bs he has done.

Quinn

6 months in jail for throwing a paps iphone through a window? Really?

Asoil

Now, lets charge that little girl justin johnson bieber with assault and kick his butt out of the country. Sadly, the police chiefs, the DA and everyone who is supposed to enforce the law in tinsel town won't do anything because they are afraid of the celebrities who own them. Celebrity justice.

oink

His "EYES", the same empty no soul look as Holmes... does it also mean he has a small penis?

Joan K

Just look at him, everytime I see a pic of him or see him on TV I feel like I want to go take a shower. He is a disgusting foul mouthed pig, no wonder Katie got rid of this guy.

Swins

What happened to the Chris Brown theft of a cell phone?

Meanie

Just throw this idiot off the planet. He's not funny, and he's a greaseball.

John

Russell behave !

Or you will never be this... http://youtu.be/ov8FeODxyXU

The Bits

Is it me or does this guy look like Charles Manson....lol

YouDontSay

Blech.

oink

I don't own a cell phone but if i did and someone grabed at me and took it from my hand and threw it through a window, I'd consider him attacking me and shoot him.

craig

The money celebs are being paid are making them useless beyond the doors of a studio.They don't no how to act civilized and think they can behave in any manner because of who they are..."tribute to steve jobs"?,well then you should get the death penalty for being so stupid.
We live in a time that they WILL GET AWAY WITH ZERRROOOO because when an encounter with a celeb goes in a manner such as this why would the arresting officer let him go for being famous when he can now lock him up and see his name on TMZ,police follow celebs and pull them over hoping they throw a rocket punch like Zsa Zsa so they can be in the NYPost.
Its a new world outside,celebs will not get the special treatment like they used to so they better get used to it...I can't wait to read JUSTIN BIEBER GIVEN 6 YEARS IN PRISON

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments