« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mom Filed for Bankruptcy

Before Olympic Triumph

8/5/2012 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0804_gabby_douglas_Natalie_Hawkins_getty
update_bar

8/6 -- Hawkins spoke to reporters about her financial history in London yesterday ... saying, "It's my story, it's part of me. I'm not even embarrassed about it."

She added, "It shows that even though I didn't like to have to do it, I'm glad there was something there for me to be able to protect my home."

0314_divider_graphic
Just a few months before Gabby Douglas won her gold medal -- and opened the door to countless opportunities that will undoubtedly score her millions of dollars -- her mother filed for bankruptcy ... TMZ has learned

According to documents filed earlier this year in Virginia, Natalie Hawkins filed for Chapter 13 ... which is far less severe than Chapter 7. The docs state Hawkins has assets totalling $163,706.10 and debt totaling $79,754.14.

Her creditors include:
Capital One -- $1,534
Student loan -- $4,350.23
Sprint -- $158.78
T-Mobile -- $413
Orthodontist in Iowa (where Gabby trained when she was 14) -- $408

With the Chapter 13 filing, Hawkins has agreed to a monthly payment plan. She began making payments of $408/month back in February ... to a trustee who will divvy it up among her creditors.

However, with Gabby’s new found fame and the potential to make a bloody fortune, it's likely her mother will never have to worry about bankruptcy or money problems ever again.

Go USA.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sonia

It's gonna be Gabby's money not her mom. Yes she can be generous and give her money if she wants to but she's not responsable for her mom debts. I hate it when someone gets rich and everyone in the family think they are gonna be rich too. Look at what happen with the Jackson's family.

Brian

Thank you TMZ for posting this article. I knew that I should not be watching your show or going to your website. You just gave my common sense all the amunition it needed to END my TV viewing and website traffic. Thanks again you disgusting worms. Picking on an underaged teenager through her Mother. Stay sick Harvey...

Mikey

Jimmy The Greek was right...................

Jim

TMZ: I guess you didn't listen when your readers complained yesterday about your airing PRIVATE family matters to the public. YOU ARE WRONG TMZ. WRONG.

Who Knew

Stay classy TMZ, you Ass holes.

Mohammad Ahmed

Sorry this isnt newsworthy but the lady is an idiot. Like the American public she should have went through credit repair. The thing that all the websites tell you is a scam because they are run by the banks.

Mohammad Ahmed - Credit Doctor Company

Mohammad Ahmed

Mohammad Ahmed - Credit Doctor Company

Mohammad Ahmed

not a smart move on the mothers part

Flying Blind

How is she going to score Millions of Dollars by doing back flips?
I could see making some money in the short term doing Ads, but Tiger Woods she's not.
Just TMZ making up stuff I guess.

tab

Hey Harvey I see you have enough class to show everyone elses financial hardships...let's see yours. Your a Donkey!!

Puke

Do you all realize how many clicks you have to go thru to leave a comment? For each page view it equals money for Harvey. The best thing to do is just not leave a comment. Do you think he really cares about your concerns? We all know he is all about $ His staff and Harvey is laughing at you all the way to the bank!
BY THE WAY, WAY TO GO GABBY, THE U.S.A IS PROUD OF YOU :)

Rob

You people are incredibly stupid. What does this have to do with Gabby? Your arrogance and insensitivity to any subject is shameful. You will get down in the sewer with all the other crap to open your cash register. Be proud and tall Levin! How tall are you 5'4" and shrinking?

bagladey

Hmm, business must not be good at TMZ because they're outrageously trying to get their name on people's lips and maybe even in the news.

Pimpcessa

First let me say CONGRATULATIONS to Gabby! Second, TMZ, this thread is of the absolute worst taste. I don't think the finances of any relative of a celebrity/athlete should be fair game and exploited. These people are not alone in their financial situations and many people right now are just trying to keep a roof over their heads. This is a humbling and embarrassing situation for anyone to go thru, and your insensitivity to that really stinks! But rest assured, things are changing in that household now!

Lastly, to the idiots that want to scream at other posters on here, to shut up and not come to the site if you don't like what TMZ is reporting on......S.U.C.K. IT! We all have a right to express our opinion, and none of you have the ability to change that. And although we may not be able to change what does get reported on here, we can express our feelings of distaste, and maybe someday it will matter to Harvey.

I did notice on TMZ live, when that caller said they had info on Tom Cruise being in the gay community, Harvey shot the caller down and got him off the phone pretty quick. So there is some things he finds not-newsworthy for him afterall....

nyc44th

TMZ . . you guys are such jerks. Just for sensationalism and trying to get hits for your site / TV show ratings (money), you are digging around into people's finances / personal lives and throwing it out there for everyone to see . . . . you s-uk! Let the family be proud of their daughter without knowing that some money grubbing idiots have done what you have done back home.