« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ryan Lochte

Jeah! Copyright Battle

Looming with Compton Rapper

8/18/2012 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0817-ryan_lochte_mc_eihtU.S. Olympic hero Ryan Lochte might have an unexpected speed bump on his way to trademarking the phrase "Jeah!" in the form of 90s rap star MC Eiht, who claims the phrase was his long before it was Lochte's.

Eiht tells TMZ he coined the phrase back in 1988 and is insulted to hear Lochte is trying to claim it as his own now. Eiht tells us, "Why try and trademark something his ass didn’t even create? I am mad that he isn’t giving me proper recognition for taking my saying. He is just disrespectful."

The Compton's Most Wanted rapper tells TMZ he's not so much concerned about the money as he is the "respect and the truth."

Eiht says he plans on sending a cease and desist letter urging Lochte to stop using his phrase.

Lochte's manager tells us, "Ryan has been using JEAH for years," adding, "This is the first I have heard of this claim by MC Eiht."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

elguapo

I just looked at the patent office and Lochte is the registered owner of the phrase.

Does MC Eight know that just saying you created the phrase doesn't matter. You actually have to file the paperwork for it. What a dumbass!

If he owned the phrase he would have registered it , long ago and Lochte would have never been able to trademark it. What a moron!

Seldombinlaid

Dude looks like a billygoat with a hat

Rebecca

WOW I haven't hear from him in YEARS! But really? Over the stupid word "Jeah" when it's meant as a YEAH? wow that's stupid.

Candyboss

8 didn't have to copyright if he can prove he used it first. Lochte is another you know what trying to play street games with the big boys and make money off of it. Please 8 will win because he was using it first. Can someone please get Vanilla Ice on the phone and tell him to repeat the story to Lochte of what happens when you mess with real thugs....Lochte get ready to cut some checks to 8 you should have done your research son, really...

Candyboss

This is just like Rodney King. Mc 8 is on tape using the words check Menace to Society I believe...You see it but still don't believe it. Please Lochte want to be gangster until the cops come knocking....Lochte pick your battles I tell you...Lochte is not intelligent enough to create anything did anyone see his interview with Matt Lauer was he swimming are drinking the chlorinated water...Not the brightest fish in the ocean...He needs people quick, someone get Kris Jenner on the phone...

justme111

Just because some of you have not heard of MC eiht doesn't mean he is not popular. Most Whites only know mainstream rappers anyway. What, you still listening to M.C. Hammer? M.C. Eiht is WELL established in the rap world, But @topic. Locht is ignorant as hell and need to fall back. Do something positive instead of running his mouth trying to be a "down" White kid. Cut the crap.

billybob

t think that picture above is photomontage and that the MC Eiht guy doesn't have his finger in Lochte's ass really.

rels

Look up Straight up Menace...Jeah was used way back then.

renae

I thought I'd heard Jeah before, I think it was in a song talking about being a straight up menace. I can't remember if it was on the soundtrack to the movie Menace to Society. I don't feel like looking for it though. Anyway that was a long time ago back in the 90's.

Sandy

His manager needs to do her research and Lochte would be well advised by his team not to get into disputes with rappers. He can just use his own name on his merchandise. His fans will still buy it. The fact is, he didn't coin the phrase and you can't just go around claiming something that you did not create. It is disrespectful and rude. As much as I love me some Ryan Lochte, I think he needs to back way off of this one.

Rich

Another no name rap crapper trying to make a buck. GET A JOB DEADBEAT!!!!

sidithers

A Winner and a Loser

thestupid

Douche athletic man VS s***bag

ShayNayNayNot

And coloreds claim to of invented peanut butter (it is a recipe not an invention), built the pyramids (when they still live in cow dung huts in da muddland because that is all they are capable of), had Tuskee Airnigs and my favorite of all time: Coloreds could fly until the ebil YT stole their majikal pineal gland.

This colored boy is nothing but another typical crapper from Compton who needs to "turn his life around".

Read more about coloreds and their "inventions" at Chimpmania.

Revelations