'American Idol'

Judges Not a Done Deal

And Mariah is PISSED

8/21/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0820_nicki_minaj_mariah_carey_american_idol_articleNicki Minaj may well become a judge on "American Idol," but it will be at the expense of Mariah Carey, who we're told hung up the phone when she was told Nicki was the top candidate.

Sources connected with "Idol" tell TMZ ... Mariah was led to believe she would be the only woman on the judge's panel. Choosing Nicki would not only crush that expectation, it would add insult to injury because Nicki (29) is a lot younger than Mariah (42).

As for the composition of the judge's panel, we're told by no means is it a done deal. There are 2 scenarios being played out. First, it's unclear if Randy Jackson will come back as a judge or a mentor. If he leaves the judge's panel, there will be another spot to fill.

The second scenario ... we're told some of the honchos believe it's a mistake to have 2 women and a man on the panel, and a 4th male judge would be necessary.

As for who's still in the running, we're told Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Enrique Iglesias are leading the pack.

And there's one other thing ... Sources connected with the show say they're worried ... if the judges end up being Mariah, Nicki and Randy ... middle America might not welcome the blackout.

Detective. LaToya

They don't need Nicki but I'm sure they'd love her fanbase as viewers, isn't she going on tour soon again so how is this possible?

Mariah
Another famous Black Male judge-scrap Randy
A famous funny White Male judge

Boom.

b4ReaL

TMZ -- WTF is a BlackOUT?! CMon...Man that is not Cool, I MEAN of course AI should have a mix of judges to entertain, WoW=keep that audience...but to preJudge the MidWest & then also use the term "Blackout"...what were YOU thinkin? not a good look son...am jus sayin....

Kadaj

Don't buy this at all. Willing to bet this is 'idol' people hating on Mariah again. Why the hell would Mariah care? She actually has a voice AND has worked with Nicki Minaj AND Kanye. Trust Mariah is about her check...to hell with the rest. Made up story I say.

joecrabs

Why in the hell does nicki minaj always looks like she just crapped her pants?

Lifekix

Racist much

dierdre

Nicki Minaj is a disgusting homily no-talent nothing....UGH.... Can't stomach her. Mariah Carey at least is talented. I personally think that A.I. is going down the tubes, and hopefully this will be the last year it's aired. Every year a no-talent NOTHING wins. It's a JOKE NOW....UGH..

Ann

Ugh, Nicki Minaj... I will finally have to stop watching Idol. How can somebody with no talent at all give advice. When Paula Abdul was on, she could at least sing a little, same for JLO, but Nicki Minaj is the worst. They must want this show to end.

Ratings Needed

I agree Idol is "jumping the shark" with Minaj. She's a comic strip, cartoon character who takes her serious other than teeny boppers? Mariah Carey is a real singer, song writer, performer that has climbed the ladder & can offer good advice to the contestants. Please, get someone decent none of these dimestore cowboys, someone with real experience, looks decent and not like a clown...unless it's GaGa :)

Jacqueline

Just cancel the show already. this show isn't about finding the 'next top idol' it's about who's getting the next biggest payout.

jordii

WOW, I thought Mariah Cary was Kathy Lee Gifford in this picture which means she is looking way older than her years.

Rita29

This deciding process has become quite the debacle. I think that as far as current day popularity Niki Minaj would be the best choice because she’s knowledgeable on what people want to hear and listen to. On that same note, I think that Mariah Carey has been in the business for longer and has developed her talent and skill more. It will be interesting to see who is chosen and to watch this season! This show gives me and my Dish coworkers a lot to talk about. I never miss an episode because my Hopper automatically records this show with the Prime Time Anytime feature. I love that this records all prime time programming on major networks. It’s really effortless and convenient!

Sandra

Who cares!! This show is on life support and hopefully the plug will be pulled sooner than later!!

linda

I think Bret Michael's should be a judge on A.I. I would stop watching if Nicki Minaj is a judge. HATE HER.

Kay_NYC

Mariah and Randy are great choices! Nicki....not so much! but as far as the all Black judges panel WHO CARES! I do however feel their should be representation from the different styles of American music

Elizabeth

American idol has gone down hill since Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell left..

Randy Jackson, probably shakes his head looking at the state of the show!