'American Idol'

Judges Not a Done Deal

And Mariah is PISSED

8/21/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0820_nicki_minaj_mariah_carey_american_idol_articleNicki Minaj may well become a judge on "American Idol," but it will be at the expense of Mariah Carey, who we're told hung up the phone when she was told Nicki was the top candidate.

Sources connected with "Idol" tell TMZ ... Mariah was led to believe she would be the only woman on the judge's panel. Choosing Nicki would not only crush that expectation, it would add insult to injury because Nicki (29) is a lot younger than Mariah (42).

As for the composition of the judge's panel, we're told by no means is it a done deal. There are 2 scenarios being played out. First, it's unclear if Randy Jackson will come back as a judge or a mentor. If he leaves the judge's panel, there will be another spot to fill.

The second scenario ... we're told some of the honchos believe it's a mistake to have 2 women and a man on the panel, and a 4th male judge would be necessary.

As for who's still in the running, we're told Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Enrique Iglesias are leading the pack.

And there's one other thing ... Sources connected with the show say they're worried ... if the judges end up being Mariah, Nicki and Randy ... middle America might not welcome the blackout.

gamepro

what does american idol not get its about the contestants and they need to get more respectable and talented artist not mariah or nicki and im afraid if they do hire them this show will lose 80% of their views

Bird

American Idol is sh_t without Simon. He made the show entertaining with his hilariously brutal honesty.

linda

This show got a revive with JLo and Steven, but it is now time to sound the death knell, especially if they keep Seacrest.

Meggie24

Remember when these talent shows used to be about finding up-and-coming talent? Now it's all about the egocentric judges and how much money they'll make in a desperate attempt to revive their stalled careers. Pathetic.

Cee

If American Idol wants another woman then get “Legend” singers
Diana Ross
Aretha Franklin
Gladys Knight
Chaka Khan
someone such as them these artists today’s rerecording their songs and/or using their beat they originated to put on their album.

These generations wonder why Whitney Houston kept saying Chaka Khan on “I’m Every Woman.” They need to do their music history and know that Chaka Khan is I’m Every Woman.

Laura

"middle America might not welcome a blackout"? That's like dark ages talk. Color isn't the problem..it's that A.I. has run its course, and white or black, they keep picking the wrong judges. Middle America is sick of divas and talentless musicians.

peoplearesilly

I won't be watching if Minaj is a judge. No way.

T_TAT

If they make Nikki Minaj a judge on A.I. I will never watch again! AND I don't think I'm alone.

verlinda

Well what I have seen for as talent and the winners that are picked, cancel the show and be done with it.

daniela

really TMZ? that last part was pathetic! funny how nobody ever complains when 99% of tv shows and movies are with an all white cast. i am so done with TMZ!

Joy

American Idol is just pandering to its main audience. Preteenaged girls and high school students. Sure they may have some viewers outside of that bracket, but not even a fraction of the teenieboppers who bring in the big ratings. These kids think Nikki Minaj is talented... and that's all that matters. I cant stomach the show anymore after watching Haley Reinhart get booted 2 yrs. ago.

Gretel

I'm not dumb, I even completed grad school, but when I read this thing about "blackout" I was wondering why a network show would be blacked out, like they used to black out some regional sports shows if all the seats weren't sold. Then I read the comments and realized it was supposed to be a racist play on words. I guess you can tell my degree isn't in social work, but do you have high school kids writing for you these days TMZ?

BABS

"middle America might not welcome the blackout" WHO WRITES THIS CRAP

STFUP

"Mariah Carey" "hung up the phone when she was told Nicki was the top candidate."
Then F**K her. Too much diva-tude.
However, DO NOT pick that ho-bag Minaj. Either way - Idol is finished. The next season will have the lowest ratings EVER. Mark my words.

John

Nicki Minaj would kill the show..