'American Idol'

Judges Not a Done Deal

And Mariah is PISSED

8/21/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0820_nicki_minaj_mariah_carey_american_idol_articleNicki Minaj may well become a judge on "American Idol," but it will be at the expense of Mariah Carey, who we're told hung up the phone when she was told Nicki was the top candidate.

Sources connected with "Idol" tell TMZ ... Mariah was led to believe she would be the only woman on the judge's panel. Choosing Nicki would not only crush that expectation, it would add insult to injury because Nicki (29) is a lot younger than Mariah (42).

As for the composition of the judge's panel, we're told by no means is it a done deal. There are 2 scenarios being played out. First, it's unclear if Randy Jackson will come back as a judge or a mentor. If he leaves the judge's panel, there will be another spot to fill.

The second scenario ... we're told some of the honchos believe it's a mistake to have 2 women and a man on the panel, and a 4th male judge would be necessary.

As for who's still in the running, we're told Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Enrique Iglesias are leading the pack.

And there's one other thing ... Sources connected with the show say they're worried ... if the judges end up being Mariah, Nicki and Randy ... middle America might not welcome the blackout.

Kristin

Really TMZ? You have to make it a race thing? I'm white and I don't care if they are all black.

moniquecherae

lol...nicki minaj has no talent so how is she gonna b the judge of it? i guess they need their ratings boosted a little...i personally havent watched american idol in years,but nicki minaj will NOT b the reason i do

alisia1277

'Blackout' C'mon TMZ... What is this? Georgia? Get a grip!

L.T.

Why is Nicki Minaj an "alleged" judge? I can understand Mariah but why Nicki? They need an "additonal" judge that has been in the industry for a certain period of time. I just don't think she's qualified.

Meanie

Someone with ZERO talent judging people who can sing. Just cancel the show now and save everyone the trouble.

scoopie

time to have a country music judge, considering all the finalists lately who are country. nicki minaj? please no

LoLoAngel

Mariah is a damned drama queen. I really can't stand her, she is such a FAKE!

skinnyminny

Find out how you can lose weight and earn cash at: www.losefatearncash.com. Take my 90 day Challenge for a chance to win $1000.00 at: www.gonein90dayz.info!

Randy

Well you just lost me as a viewer and I suspect a WHOLE lot more people also..bu bye American Idol..

AV

What funny about this story, that Nicki Minaj told Jlo when she was performing on Idol In May, she told Jlo I want your job, and Jlo replied, theirs no room for you. I guess Nicki Minaj wasn’t playing around, she got her wish, I think she will be in entertaining side of Idol, because she has a crazy personally, but I think she can get serious when she wants to, because it takes a serious person to accomplish what she has done a few years she has been in the music industry, she portray that crazy person as part of her act, but I can tell she’s a serious person. So Jlo, steps aside loser.

Speaks the truth!

Some people can be such hypocrites, it's beyond me how people can be so accepting of Simon Cowell and Ellen who have no musical talent, but are not accepting of Nicki Minaj who can rap,write songs,sing and act.Ellen is a comedian the only link she has to music is her lame dancing on her show.My thing is if you can't vocally evoke the sound you are not equip to judge anyone's singing.It's not like you can show me how to do the notes correctly.All you can say is "that was rubbish".Randy Jackson was in a band and is a manager/producer.Paula is a dancer, songwriter and some what of a singer.Simon was just there to be a critic.They need to get someone who can sing,write,dance and produce music.Also having the "ear" and "eye" for talent.

yodidreambody

** LOL**If you want a booty like Nicki Minaj check out my website www.divanation1.com I gained 4 inches in a month using yodi pill products. I have before & after pics and layaway plan available!!

MICHELLE

We've seen a lot of GREAT country music contestants. A country music singer would be PERFECT. Someone that FINALLY can give those country stars on the rising a good advise, part of their knowledge and experience. THINK SMART FOX!!!!!!

Whatthaduck

Nicki would be a big mistake...stop going for who's hot Idol and get judges who can sing, who the contestants can value the opinion of. How can nicki critique someone's singing when she can't sing a lick?

LuckyHeidi

Don't you need talent to be a judge? Atleast Mariah can sing, but what can Nicki do....seriously! Only in America.