Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

LDB

now they're just desperate

Jillian

Scraping the very bottom of the barrel for this s***bag. Idol has seem its best day. Simon is the reason I watched it in the beginning. Since he's been gone it has hit the skids.

Rose

???????

ldylkng

I'll never watch again

birdman

If Nicki is a judge I wont watch the show lol what a joke

kt

This show has run it's course, I stopped watching years ago. Kanye?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They are really grasping at straws aren't they?

Chad

Oh hell no. Pleeeeeeeeeeease don't. I don't want to ban idol. No. He's a fool. He is dumb. Bad bad bad. The idol producers are idiots. No need to erode viewers faster!

fundolly1fun

If He is on the show..I will never watch it..He is so rude and look when he ran up on stage and crushed a moment..

BBWSTL

I will not watch AI if they hire Nikki and Kanye as judges. WTF are the PTB at AI thinking? I am betting that AI will not make it another yr after next. It will be the death of AI to have those kooks on. I'm not happy about Mariah. I would rather see Nicole Scherzinger or Paula Abdul back.

LightJ

NOOOOOOOOO. This is a horrible idea. He is a jerk-off everyone knows it. His music sucks so much a s s now. I mean he is singing about that ugly talentless hoe Kim K now. He will give nothing to be a judge, except for sucking his own c o c k, like the narcissist he is! And another show for that ugly skank to show up at for NO REASON.
p.s. Nikki has no talent, she is overrated and a big ugly fake a s s looking clown p.o.s. It's because of those tasteless teen!

el polacko

they've been determined these last few years to kill off 'idol'...this would do it.

Harlin's Garage

Okay that's it.... There is something really wrong with that pic of Kanye... Every time I see it, tears the ass outta me for some reason... Stupid glasses with weird haircut, and the artsy fartsy scarf??? Something aint right.... BTW, I'm about pissed off at all these American Kari' okay, Who's got talent, Think ya can dance crap... The Gong Show stomps em all....

JD

And after all these years of being a devoted Idol fan... seriously watched since the show began... I would finally STOP watching Idol if either Kanye or Nicki sign. They are both so not my idea of what Idol should be about. Brad Paisley, yes... Keith Urban, you bet... but come on! If Randy leaves, that would be a shame, but with talent like Mariah and Brad or Keith on the panel, the show would draw such a huge audience. Adding either Nicki or Kanye would KILL the show and putting them on the same panel as Mariah Carey and Brad Paisley or Keith Urban is such a HUGE insult to real talent. Neither of these two clowns have any vocal abilities and I would NEVER take their critiques seriously. NEVER! Even the Kardashians have more talent than these two for crying out loud.

For Sooth?

Please, please, please, don't let this ugly mug be on tv. The thought of them entertaining Diddy was to much, we'd be right back to square one with this other face.

quiltersandi

i will not watch if Kanye or Nicki are on the panel.