Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Joe

The only part of the god awful program I currently watch is the tryouts. If they bring on this racist douche I won't even watch that. Hey American Idol, your program has run it's course.

Ratings Needed

Nicki or Kanye..... HORRIBLE!!!

You need a professional webmaster!!! Half the time nothing works & today your web site is a mess!!!! Most of the time you can't click on the 'like' or 'hate' it doesn't work. GET A PRO!!!

RockfrdDrm

Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that they have people who can't sing, judging singing contests? Britney hasn't sung a live note in her life, Simon couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow. Kanye would be eating government cheese on a daily basis without the Auto-Tune program. Nicki Minaj makes me want to barf every time I look at her fat ass, this whole reality singing thing just needs to go away. Let them get famous the old fashioned way......by screwing the studio executives. Like Mariah Carey and Diana Ross did.

Bella

Are you kidding me? I will never watch again if this disgusting looser is on Idol. Please tell me they are not this desperate. He or Nicki would be a terrible choice. Both of them would be Idol suicide.

Kelley

I will stop watching American Idol!!! This man is racist and is not a roll model at all!

Why don't they get Sheryl Crow she would be good!

drake

This show just keeps sinking lower and lower. What a joke.

PSpeedy

Please don't, please don't put that nasty selfish jackass on, the show will be ruined for everyone.

D

I would stop watching American Idol if Kanye became a judge.

Joe

He's a racist douche...... Won't be watching..

buckwheat

Its Bubba from Forrest Gump

FresnoBullpup

*Facepalm*
I haven't seen the show in over 2 years, and am definitely not starting now.

Areader

Talk about getting away from your demographic....what is Idol thinking?

buckwheat

Like a blind person judging a beauty contest

Kay

Mariah, Kayne, Nicki? They might as well cancel the show now. It has about run it course in the past few years this group would be the nail in the coffin!

Jenn

Good Lord how about adding some diversity in the mix!