Randy Travis

Cited in Church Fight

'Extremely Intoxicated'

8/24/2012 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0824_randy_travis_01
update_bar
2:00 PM PT -- Travis had "bloodshot" eyes and torn clothing following the incident ... this according to the police report.

11:38 AM PT --
A source close to Randy tells TMZ, the singer was NOT drunk, nor had he been drinking. The source says Randy's fiancee and her estranged husband were arguing over visitation of their son and things got violent ... so Randy jumped in.

7:45 AM PT --
The Plano Police Department tells TMZ ... Travis was cited for simple assault. We're told officials believe Randy was the primary aggressor.

Cops say ... there was a "family argument" taking place between a man and a woman ... and Randy got involved.

Randy's lawyer, Larry Friedman, tells TMZ ... the woman in the argument is Randy's fiancee, who was arguing with her estranged husband ... when Randy entered the situation.

Friedman says, "Randy Travis was the only man that came to the rescue ... fortunately even today chivalry is not dead”

Another man was also involved in the fight, but cops say it wasn't the husband.

0314_divider_graphic
More trouble for Randy Travis ... TMZ has learned the embattled singer was involved in a FIGHT in a church parking lot in Texas early this morning.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... cops responded to the church around 1 AM after receiving a tip about two men fighting in the parking lot.

We're told Travis was taken to the hospital after the fight. One source tells us Randy appeared to be "extremely intoxicated."

We're told the fight was over a girl.

Travis has had serious problems with alcohol -- he was arrested for DWI earlier this month after cops say they found the singer naked at the scene of a car crash.

And Travis was busted for public intoxication back in February after cops say he was hammered in a different church parking lot.

Attempts to reach Travis were unsuccessful.

gwenda brewer

I met Randy. He's a wonderful person. He is so down to earth and loves people. He obviously has a drinking problem and hopefully he is seeking help for it. If any of you critics had met him, you wouldn't be badmouthing him; instead you would be on board encouraging him to get help.

drowning.in.a.towel

My idol! I love you Randy!

annejabby

Randy Travis is a "timebomb" and should
be in rehab. I wish someone in his Family
would conduct an intervention..he is such
a great performer, it is sad to see him
struggling. Someone, please help him !!!!!

annejabby

Randy Travis is a clicking "time bomb" and needs
help. Where is his family????? A supportive( family)
Team can do an intervention with a Professional.
I am affraid this amazing singer will "fade out" if
no one helps him.

Genial

He must have heard some of his own hillbilly music!

ed baggett

What's wrong ? Has fame gone to his head ? Maybe some prison time will straighten him out !

keepinitrealincali

What is it with Randy and churches???????

supermom

Hot mess!

JOJO

Randy have a drink and calm the F down....

Brian

Must be gathering data for his next song (.I,m DRUNK and NAKED AGAIN !!!)

fernzee

yup when a person is down kick him in the teeth..
some of these comments make me sick

Elizabeth Alan

Alcohol is a socially accepted drug. It is a worldwide epidemic. How many people here will have a beer, or a few drinks, and then drive themselves home, or run a quick errand? It is the most celebrated beverage of all time. Randy is only one victim, of millions, to the hypocrisy of socialized liquor consumption.

Doug1014

Breaking down???? Incredible behavior!

Bob

Hey, Randy was possibly helping a female in distress. Not many do that today... Many will just sit and watch people be disrespected in public and not care. People had only care to place images of such situations on facebook or Youtube, but never try to stop it.

George Obama

Starkle, starkle, little twink,
Who the hell are you I think.
I'm not under what you call
The alcofluence of incohol.
I'm just a little slort of sheep,
I'm not drunk like thinkle peep.
I don't know who is me yet,
But the drunker I stand here the longer I get.
So just give me one more fink to drill my cup,
'Cause I got all day sober to Sunday up.