'American Idol'

Randy Jackson

OUT AS JUDGE

8/31/2012 8:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0830_randy_jackson_american_idol_articleThe dawg days are over at "American Idol" ... TMZ has learned Randy Jackson is officially LEAVING the judge's table ... but will still remain a part of the show as a "mentor."

Sources connected to "Idol" tell us ... there's some concern among the brass that Jackson is not well-suited for the mentor role ... but they feel they need him because he's the glue that helps keep the show together.

As for his replacement ... sources tell us Nicki Minaj's deal is 99% done ... but still not a sure thing just yet.

We're told the honchos are keenly aware Mariah Carey isn't a fan of Minaj and doesn't want her at the table ... a fact producers LOVE because they think the conflict and tension will be good for the show.

And ... we now know A.I. will once again go with a 4th judge ...  we're told producers are gunning for someone from the country music world for the third seat.  Seat number 4 is up in the air.

Finally, altough "A.I." wanted Diddy or Kanye West ... we're told they are definitely out of the picture.

Thiiiiiiiiis ... is getting intense.

0831_randy_jackson_american_idol_judge_footer

Zaidi

A.I. is still going to the dawgs. Diddy or Kanye? Give me a break. Neither of them know a b flat from a flat tire!

kendra bethune

screech you want screech to judge american idol
do you think he's hot and cute yeah you like him
mrs harry brawl sw210 yeah you think he's adorable
harry is a man name dustin diamond is a man not cool dude

me2010

They've made the show more about the judges. Originally, IDOL was more about the budding singers. It's a bad move.

brotherap

Randy, I hope you buried some of that loot you've made on AI over the years because this ship has got a big hole in it. You were the last patch, IMO, that kept it afloat.

keke21

I think personally Mary J blige should be first on line for the judge table she has been in the game for nearly 20m plus years . I trully think she would be an asset to the show!!! as well as Maria Carey I would love to see the both of them as judges.RUSSELL SIMMONS WOULD ALSO BE A GOOD IDEA AS JUDGE TO BRING MORE RATINGS. THESE ARE PEOPLE WITH YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY.

TimOH

umm, Mariah and Minaj are FRIENDS, c'mon TMZ

Sam

Wow! So dumb. This is not a concert. Show needs judges not performers. Who cares about Mariah or Nicki as judges? Could be the last year for Idol.

GLORIA

IF NICKI MINAJ GOES ON AMERICAN IDOL I WILL NEVER WATCH A I AGAIN

Funny Girl

Randy can't do this to America. Idol will NEVER be the same without him.

Debbie

If Idol set out to pick the worst judges ever, congrats you did it. Really liked the show but it's over for me now.

dt

why not america decide on who should be the judges take votes the same way you do for contestants after all we know what we want to watch....

mycalbe

Randy Jackson is a clown and a disgrace to African-Americans. He speak a language that all young adults should never learn. He dresses like he a young adults with sizes that don't fit and colors that are ridiculous.
I for one am glad he's leaving. Let him go write and produce music.

Illy

there is nothing wrong with American Idol..it's the networks not the people, we enjoy the show and can't wait to see it, why do network target the good show leave American Idol Alone.

Sammi

Nicki needs to go shes ****ing annoying!

Mike Hall

It seems if black cannot dominate everything in showbusiness , then everyone who says anything
is deemed a racist, this story is way too old and worn out
just like american idol