Amanda Bynes

Serious Mental Issues

9/15/2012 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0914_amanda_bynes_pollAmanda Bynes has much bigger problems than smoking pot and driving illegally ... there's evidence she has serious mental issues.

TMZ has spoken with a number of people who have had repeated contact with Bynes over the last few months, and the stories are consistent and disturbing.

Several people from her gym -- Equinox in West Hollywood - tell us, she has been showing increasingly alarming signs of delusional behavior.  One person says Amanda came to the gym Thursday looking dazed and began speaking with herself -- making comments and then answering back.

Another person says when Amanda was on the elliptical, she would stop suddenly and start "laughing hysterically for no reason."  She did this periodically throughout her workout.  This person says he's seen her dozens of times in the last few months, and says it's apparent her condition is "deteriorating."

Several of Amanda's neighbors echo the concern over Amanda's condition.  One tells us he observed her on several occasions having long conversations with inanimate objects.  Another person says people in her condo complex are aware of her condition and her conduct but haven't called her friends or relatives or authorities because they just don't want to get involved, given her profile.

Some of the people in the building have been upset over the last few weeks, because they believe the media is painting Amanda as a garden variety pothead and they say her problems are much deeper.

livetxnet

Once you go black... you go whack!

Michelle

This girl needs help and QUICKLY! I felt the need to post a comment in her defense. As a medical doctor, I see this type of behavior in: a) bipolar disorder with psychosis; b) schizoaffective disorder; c) schizophrenia; d) clinical depression with psychotic features. Patients with the above psychiatric disorders frequently use illicit drugs to self medicate. I deal with these cases daily and it's difficult for me as a physician. So, imagine a patient who needs to be hospitalized and no one is intervening. Also know that the medications we use to treat these disorders have negative side effects, i.e. extrapyramidal symptoms which can sometimes be permanent. I do not personally know this girl and have never treated her, but before you judge, make a joke or comment, thank your lucky stars that this is not you.

jack-55d79

Tragic. It seems difficult to disentangle any underlying problems from the substance issues (including booze). I'd have thought one of the worst possible places to be for those kind of vices is Hollywood (although that applies as much to *any* major city). I hope stories like this prompt friends and family to get involved, but it's difficult because she's an adult. Unless she's suffering from something like bi-polar disorder and far gone enough for mandatory treatment.

Must be horrible being a former child star from the perspective that most people have gone through some kind of normal education and dealing with more representative people than the entertainment industry. Ex-child stars can't fall back on ordinary social circles because they never existed for them.

So if someone had a dry patch of jobs, they can't hang out with their ordinary friends or friends from school, college, or work, because they never had those things. There are many good places they can hang out which has got to increase the risks of substance abuse issues. I've said it before but I suspect the best thing many ex-child stars could do as adults is get an education before splurging their money away. They'll meet new people, acquire real-life skills, and have something to fall ack on/keep them out of trouble. They may well drink etc as students but they're far more likely to hold it down by way of having structure imposed on them.

Bubbles The Chimp

Who doesn't talk to inanimate object anyway. I talk to my poop every morning in my zoo cage.

bc

Sounds like she is talking on a bluetooth and a lot of people expect fire where there is smoke. It could just be a smoke machine.

Who Knew

I said it before, it's time for a 5051 hold a la Britney Spears. spears is doing great now.

Sean Kelly

Oh yes... gym rats are so well qualified to evaluate someone's mental condition. The only craziness in this story is Harvey's obsession with Amanda. You are a borderline stalker.

help this young woman

Time to remove the battery from her car!

peoplearesilly

Where are her family and/or friends? Why is someone not trying to help this poor girl? It's obvious she's got some real issues. What are people waiting for? For her to kill herself or someone else?

CoreyPain718

Well ATLEAST she is not shooting up movie theaters and hurting children like most "these" crazy people do... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ALL ARE!

Yolanda Brown

SALVIA....hahahahaha

IceGypsy

I used to see a lady on my train that did that all the time. Everyone looked at her like she was crazy. I thought she was crazy until she moved her hair and I could see she was on the phone....

shdwfx

Mental issues does explain her behavior. Otherwise, she's just an idiot and I didn't want to think that. I loved her in all her movies. She seemed like such a sweet girl. I hope she gets some help soon.

dd

Well it's obvious she's mentally ill so someone in her family should take over like they did Brittany!

Luvgigi

Who the **** cares! Nobody goes around telling you all u guys ain't perfect. Theres nothing wrong w smoking not like she smoking crack. She obviously shouldn't b driving but **** from that to saying she has mental issues. Jeesus