Nigel Lythgoe

Mariah & Nicki Beef Is REAL

... And Here's Proof

10/18/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

101712_nigel_launch
"American Idol" producer Nigel Lythgoe is adamant ... the bitter feud between Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj is as real as it gets -- and his proof lies in simple logic.

Nigel was out in L.A. yesterday when we asked for the final word -- did he or did he not stage the feud for ratings??? -- and Nigel replied, "I have no idea why I would be doing it [for ratings] five months before the show went out."

He added, "I would only do ANYTHING for ratings a month before the show went out. They've got my timing wrong."

Translation: keep your eyes out for a crazy "Idol" ratings ploy in three months.

KarenEmerson22

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $82h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online… EarlyRich.com

Cheryl A.

Everything Idol does, since the first winner, who everyone thought was going to lose, has been for ratings. Really, all they need are TALENTED people and the show would sell itself. The Beatles never went on any dumb talent show, they did the legwork, playing in bars and clubs, oh and they had TALENT!

Joann

Of course it's legit. Who in their right mind would want to have to sit two seats away from ghetto trash at their job?

Lydia

Why do most people believe it was staged? Do you really believe Mariah would agree to let Nicki go off on her like that even if fake? Hell no.
I do think the show's producers were on standby knowing an incident would happen and they planned to have a cell phone available to film it when it happened and then leak it to the press.
But no way Mariah was in on it.

Erika

I do believe the fight was real and that the ladies don't like each other. People are getting staged confused w/ the video getting leaked. The thing that was a ploy was that the people at Idol took the opportunity to leak the tape. I still don't get why people aren't asking Nigel about that one. Its a closed set and this gets out. That's the fishy thing to me.

MrDLOC

Of COARSE ITS REAL!
NIGEL is right, this scandal has NOT improved any ratings because the show isnt even on the air yet!!
and judging from all the negative comments it has NOT brought any new/old fans back into the AI fold...
my guess the feud was real, Nikki was just out of control....

MrDLOC

isnt AMERICAN IDOL still the NUMBER ONE TELIVISION SHOW on the air (besides NFL)??
i think this year because of Mariah Carey the show will REMAIN AT NUMBER ONE and slightly improve its ratings.

NWC

Does anyone else think this guy is just a downright creepy pervert. The comments he makes during SYTYCD are gross. What a closet queen.

nikyahwest

yes beat her ass nicki

Just tell it y

WHETHER ITS LEGIT OR STAGED NIKKIMINAJ IS A BULLY, AND SHE BULLYING MARIAH CAREY IF IT WAS ANY OTHER YOUNGER FEMALE RAPPER THEY WOULD'VE SNAPPED ON THAT STAGE LIKE LIGHTENING, NIKKIMINAJ AND GOON STYLE IS A TIME BOOM WAITING TO EXPLODE ! NIKKIMINAJ IS AMERICAN BULLYING IDOL.

Just tell it y

NIKKIMINAJ IS TRYIN TO CONTROL THE STAGE, BY BULLYING MARIAH, MARIAH IS SWEET AND DON'T DESERVE TO BE BULLY BY NIKKI, THE RATINGS IS GOIN DOWN NOBODY WANTS TO A BULLY.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2